• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

Sammy guys have been swapping the Tracker stuff out of the aluminum housing into the Samurai housing as the tracker front will crack under hard use . Google it to see what you will need to do it .

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't run it hard....but, the PO had the aluminum housing in when I got it, and it stood up to some :) 

I did the swap into a Sami steel housing last year when I replaced the pinion bearing.

If anything, I'd like to have a skid for it maybe.

Oh oh! Bolting directly to the frame would eventually result in something breaking!  If the engine is on rubber, and the tcase bolted direct, you will break a Transmission or Transfer Case I'll bet!  Engines rotate when torque applied.  In the extreme case, watch a semi-trailer take off from a dead stop. 

I'm ordering new Tcase mounts for the Scout.  They are rotten rubber!

24 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

Divorced case shouldnt affect engine or trannie but still should have rubber to  absorbe shock load

Ooops!  I don't know my Samis! lol  I learn something new everyday but at this point I also forget something...........  No net gain, lol.

Happy Canada Day!

Started to button up the 3rd on Friday - torqued down the cap bolts, and boom....threaded a bolt in the aluminum housing. I was using the service manual torque specs, so it should have been fine. I recall when I removed the bolt initially, it had that stripped feel to it...oh well.

So, the carrier and pinion all got swapped into the Sami steel housing after all LOL :)

Installed it all back into the axle housing, RTV and all, and was cleaning up the bench, and the cross pin cap was staring me in the face, so it all came out again in order to install that.

It's back in now.

Just a few little things left needed to finish, but having a daily driver is making me lazy LOL

IMG_1052.JPG

3rd is in now for the final time. I also took the opportunity to install 3 new Maruti Gypsy (Indian Suzuki SJ410 LWB) transfer case mounts to replace the hockey pucks.

Test drive is good so far, and it's much much quieter with no warped ring gear and proper transfer case mounts :-)

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

Replaced one of the new rear axle wheel seals as it was leaking. I don't know if I damaged the last one when i installed it, but the seal edge had a thin strip coming off it.

Thankfully I did the brake backing plate mod last time, so it was all done in half an hour.

Let's see how long the new one lasts :)

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎02 at 9:29 PM, jay said:

3rd is in now for the final time. I also took the opportunity to install 3 new Maruti Gypsy (Indian Suzuki SJ410 LWB) transfer case mounts to replace the hockey pucks.

Test drive is good so far, and it's much much quieter with no warped ring gear and proper transfer case mounts :-)

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

any stamp collectors here ?

Yup. 1am last night I was working on it lol. It's not a huge task to put another tcase back in, assuming number 3 is good. ;)

Ive been chasing this whining, and this is tcase number 2 that does it.

Apparently the countershaft bearings are known to go and I need this kit http://suzuki.roadlessgear.com/transfer-case-counter-shaft-kit

Right now I'm not sure which to install.....

1x early type 1 Sami tcase with the brake

1x '82 sj410 tcase with no 4x4 switch, but with 12% gear reduction (pictured)

.... decisions decisions lol

Things didn't go to plan with the '82 tcase as one of the selector shafts is jammed solid.

So I've moved onto the tcase that was in it originally, with the ebrake on the rear output. All flanges are the smaller type, so im switching spares around lol

20170709_121658~2.jpg

Archived