• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

Yes, that's right, I've decided to let the X go to a good home, and my next project is a 1986 Suzuki Samurai.

The good one is standard, has 5.13's, a bad 1.6L fuel injected motor and needs some tidying up for its inspection - has a fuel cell and no rear brakes. It has almost no rot, just some minor surface rust and a few dents. It also has a fold down front windshield for pure novelty factor!! :)

The bad one has 4.10s or 4.56s, a good 1.6L carb motor, a real nice top, possibly ok running gear, and I'll try and save whatever else is left.

The plan is to swap the good motor to the good one, keeping the carb. Then return the good one to it's basic form, ripping out anything that's unnecessary, like the Dixie horns and fuel cell. Then put it in for MVI.

So here goes.....

20160731_130610.jpg

20160731_130634.jpg

20160731_133742.jpg

20160731_153124.jpg

20160731_153311.jpg

20160731_153334.jpg

20160731_153339.jpg

20160731_153951.jpg

20160731_154125.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember years back (16ish), when I knew a few guys running these, the ones that had carbs used to complain about them.  When they'd go up a steep hill, or off camber, the carb couldn't provide fuel, and they'd stall out.  Might be something to consider, or Matt might say I suck, and it'll work fine. LOL :)

Hehehe, oops!! :biggrin:

I tell ya, I really love wheeling a smaller rig.  Having doors and a top that comes off too is just the icing on the cake. :)  Having no room to store/bring anything is the only big downfall.  But, where you seldom have passengers, you'll be fine with the rear seat out.

Well.....

Rear brakes...there are none, not even backing plates, so I'm either going to transplant them off the bad rig, or find some used, or go the drum to rotor conversion route.

Rotor conversion is preferd, but will take time to accumulate parts. I doubt the bad rigs brakes will be any good either.

2 hours ago, jay said:

and the good motor has a side draft Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle carb, which is good at all angles :)

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

I remember years back (16ish), when I knew a few guys running these, the ones that had carbs used to complain about them.  When they'd go up a steep hill, or off camber, the carb couldn't provide fuel, and they'd stall out.  Might be something to consider, or Matt might say I suck, and it'll work fine. LOL :)

Derekmac, I'd never say you suck lol, but the carb upgrade will stay running with no issue to the point of tipping over backwards, endo over frontwards and to the point where we have to push against the rollbar to keep it from tipping sideways. Russell carried the front wheels up a steep hill following my old dodge up a coulee in southern Alberta.

Not sure if that link I sent ya worked or not Jay, but the disc conversion I sent a link for utilizes full bolt on , with new rear wheel flanges, and uses all the components for the front brakes so it is easy. And the park brake is a drum on rear driveshaft 

If it didn't work,. Let me know and I'll find it again

Derek, a couple folks knew of Jay's plans just before he started this thread.  Otherwise I'd be more 'gob smacked' as someone from England might say!  But I'm still surprised.  I predict he has now become a fabricator and will never keep the same rig and never have a woods rig running, just always a full garage....  

Lol, I hope he keeps something for wheelin'!

LOL!

I have a terrible track record with keeping vehicles. It just so happened the X was so much fun in the woods that I kept it much much longer than I would normally. The X will be staying in the woods and I'm hoping the Sami will be as much fun as the X was on the trail, and something I can keep street legal too :)

I'm weirdly looking forward to simplicity, 4 cylinders and a manual transmission. IDK why LOL.

Archived