• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Pinion bearing install help req'd

SQRLPWR

I have a dial indicator that I probably purchased at PA when I added my Detroit Locker in my 14 Bolt that you can borrow.  I don't think they are that expensive.

Not saying you want to do gears alone for the first time, but given the work you have done for the SAS, with the proper tools and instructions I'm 100% confident you can do the job.

3 hours ago, jay said:

Thanks for the offer :)

True about the just changing the bearings, assuming all is good with the whining current setup ;)

Check your measurements and wear pattern before disassembly, take a pic of the wear pattern, make sure to torque the crush sleeve properly for proper preload. Don't mixup or change any shims if gear pattern is ok

A hint to aid installing the bearings is utilizing your freezer and oven. Use expansion and contraction to your benefit. Having a press is handy, but not necessary. You can always just cut the old races off and using warm and cold parts , using brass tools to drive them on will work.

Archived