• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Torque Wrench

Buckshot12

Is there anywhere in Halifax that has a inch-pound torque wrench? like a digital one or preferable beam style? I cant find one anywhere. Ordered a beam style one off amazon and it said inch pound but when i got it was a foot pound... Ughh. Need one so i can test my pinion nut to spec

Thanks in advance 

11 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Don't they often talk about a dial gauge for measuring rotating pinion torque?

Yes you're right they do for preload, but I cant find one of those either...well not for under $250 :(

I suspect the seasoned builders do it by feel

13 minutes ago, jay said:

Yes you're right they do for preload, but I cant find one of those either...well not for under $250 :(

I suspect the seasoned builders do it by feel

Yep, I set them up in school using proper inch pound spec, and for a while in the shop , and then after that was by feel

1 hour ago, Buckshot12 said:

Is there anywhere in Halifax that has a inch-pound torque wrench? like a digital one or preferable beam style? I cant find one anywhere. Ordered a beam style one off amazon and it said inch pound but when i got it was a foot pound... Ughh. Need one so i can test my pinion nut to spec

Thanks in advance 

If it is sensitive enough, multiply your ft/lb x 12 for inch pounds

1 hour ago, TRUXterra said:

I believe you intended to say DIVIDE by 12, not multiply ;)

I ment multiply, whatever your torque wrench says in ft/lbs, multiply it by 12 for an in/lb reading

OK, thought about what you were saying, take your specification from the book and divide it by 12 to have a goal for your ft/lb torque wrench. I am always using dial torque wrenches or beam so I do the math as the needle moves, wasn't thinking of presetting a click wrench.

9 minutes ago, Nightpath said:

Keep your eyes on Canadian Tire. They had a sale on Stanley and MC brands over the past month or 2, and definitely a sweet price.

I been looking at Canadian tire and all they have is foot pound torque wrenches.. But i do believe they are on sale now for like 50% off, so that's a plus i guess haha.

2 hours ago, 82Yota said:

Also keep in mind that a lot of the new Maximum line only has a 1 year warranty 

Oh!  I liked the lifetime warranties, have had to use them for a couple of things.  1 year only sucks!  May have to re-think some purchases!

11 hours ago, 82Yota said:

I didn't realize that!  I just looked online, and yep, my torque wrench only has a 1 year warranty.  I see the Dewalt ones have a lifetime exchange though.

20 hours ago, 82Yota said:

That sucks! Fortunately, both of my TQ wrenches are lifetime (3/8" & 1/2"). I've had them for a while. I'll have to keep an eye on that for their socket sets & other tools in the future though.

45 minutes ago, TRUXterra said:

That sucks! Fortunately, both of my TQ wrenches are lifetime (3/8" & 1/2"). I've had them for a while. I'll have to keep an eye on that for their socket sets & other tools in the future though.

They're only lifetime till they break, then they give you Maximum one and your lifetime turns into 1 year. They are phasing out a lot of their old stuff, I am sure their lifetime warranty kills their profits

Archived