• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

VSS - electric to mechanical speedo need help

Nightpath

I'm trying to modify my XJ drivetrain to work with a mechanical speedometer in my old Eagle. Wondering if anyone has ever done this here, and could give a tip or 2.

My setup is as follows :

Full XJ drivetrain and wiring from a 1994 XJ (OBD1).
Eagle gauge cluster

I'm looking at snagging a ECHLIN VSS110 (Airtex/Wells 5S4691) possibly, but I noticed it has only 2 wires instead of 3 which I believe my current VSS has.

I'm thinking 1 of the wires goes to the PCM and another is for the speedometer. Am I correct to assume this?

I guess I should ask if you are keeping the 4 liter fuel injection with a electronic transnission?

Ah , OK my bad, I re read your post , you are keeping the 4.0 fuel injected with an electric trans.  I'm not sure then. My expirence was a 1995 4.0/swap but we kept installed the carb and intake from the 4.2 onto the 4.0. I rebuilt the carb and that baby purred like a little kitten. -42degC cold starts without Hassel. That little sx4 worked great but now it is getting solid axle swap and 5.2 from a grand Cherokee, 5 speed nv3500 from a Dakota and a np231 case from an xj

I saw that a few days ago. It's a pretty nice piece of kit, but quite expensive. For that price I could get an Intellitronix Create a Dash, which is the route I may end up going..even though I'd love to stay stock.

54 minutes ago, Nightpath said:

Who has the SX/4 thats getting all the love? 

And yes, I am keeping my fuel injecting and all that good stuff :)

My buddies. This is the only pic I can find of when it first went on the road. When I first moved to Alberta I saw this in a back alley. I told my buddie about it $300 later we brought it home. He like the not common rigs. I bought this sami while I was out there for $200 and he also ended up with it 

1743464_10153827208310613_1910570733_n.jpg

1924219_92865175612_6447_n.jpg

IMG_20160513_003127.jpg

Archived