• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Jetta Hwy MPG

sar4x4

Just drove to 'western' PEI and Charlottetown and back. 950 km.  All highway.  110 kph average.

50.3 MPG Holy Schmoly!

But the car is so low I hate getting into it!  Great acceleration.  Not for me long term, great for a rental.

They have Tiguans for rent.  Might be a good Ledwidge Car 0. :-)

They're like any European car, they're great till you have to dump money on parts. My friends TDI is a money pit and he cant wait to get rid of it.

Don't even get me started on Volvo...

We have had ours for almost a year, over 350,000km and haven't had to sink any big money into it. Diesel and the occasional part. Have to take it in for rust warranty but even that doesn't bother me.

I would buy a german car over any American one (Sorry Guys), I had to put more work into my American built cars than my euro boxes. Had two full years of no maintenance (I mean literally no maintenance) out of our 07 City Golf. Same thing with our brand new one till I wrote it off. This one is looking to be on par the same.

BIG VW fan here!  I've had an 88 diesel Jetta, (can't remember the year) Fox, 1996 Jetta, and an 02 TDi Jetta.  No problems with any of them.  The biggest mistake we ever made was selling the 02.  Upwards of 1100km per tank, and ran and drove like a dream.  I actually came VERY close to selling the Jeep, and keeping the Jetta.

They are all nuts and bolts in the end with different quirks. I my self have only had 2 imports , a 1988 civic hatchback 4spd. Not an impressive car and other than a clutch and ball joints no repairs. The other import was a 2002 celica gts almost new when I got it. Only 10,000 kms and kept it till 20,000 and couldn't keep oil in it. It was all going out the tailpipe. Traded it for a mustang gt and shortly after found out the toyota ended up getting a new engine. I mostly run heavy pickups, f250/350, Dodge 2500 and 3500, and as of current a GMC suburban 2500. They all get high milage. My last Dodge 2500 Cummins had about 600,000kms and only repairs other than maintence was a 5 speed trans and clutch. Nothing ever touched on the engine or driveline, just maintence stuff. 

Just now, TomWood said:

In our world you need the Jeep and a TDI, they just go together so well

I might be getting back into the oil burners, with trucks, and a nontraditional engine swap at that . IV got a late model 6.2 Chevy diesel... That runs good and sound pretty good too. Best sounding 6.2 IV ever heard. No power and not designed to pull, has the same output as a old 4bbl Chev 305, but the milage should be great.

Archived