• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

want your thoughts guys!

flibby

I'm looking for a new rig. Found 2 so far within price range and I like the vehicles.

First one is a 99 4 runner with 271xxx on it, separate transmission cooler so the pink milkshake wont be an issue. Alberta truck so rust should'nt be an issue.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/new-glasgow-ns/1999-toyota-4runner-sr5-alberta-vehicle/1157452448

Second is a 2002 Tacoma with 400xxx on it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-halifax/2002-toyota-tacoma-none-other/1154865450

Whats your guys' thoughts on each?

Watch those Alberta cars, they rust fast, like crazy fast if UN protected. My Ford had minimal rust, minimal fresh snow run in the winter, no salt on the road, had a couple small spots of rust, now they are great big holes.

10 minutes ago, flibby said:

that's important to know, I figured an add in trans cooler would be separate from the stock unit.

The add on ones are just to assist the factory ones. But factory one is still needed to aid in transmission temp warm up also.

well the 4 runner is gone so thats out.

Even with the high mileage I think I am going with the tacoma, good price, fits all my needs, brand new all terrains and after watching some videos it will be nothing for me to replace the timing belt and water pump. Plus I've always had good luck with Toyota's.

If anyone has any objections to this marriage speak now or forever hold your piece :)

17 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

Try to get it at a better price... 400k+ KMs is alot for the price...

gonna try, fact is he knows I'm driving 3 hours and will have the cash in hand :) hard to have leverage there.

the body "looks" a1 so as long as the frame is good I plan on doing the timing belt and water pump in the first few weeks of having it.

If he's asking $4k he automatically is expecting to get max $3500. Whether it's really only worth $1500 or $2500 I don't know.  But I'd definitely not start higher than $3k but how much lower depends on the body and interior.  I always assume I will have to put $1000 in to a used vehicle for everything from brakes to wipers, alignment, oil and filter, ball joints, etc.

46 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I always assume I will have to put $1000 in to a used vehicle for everything from brakes to wipers, alignment, oil and filter, ball joints, etc.

Unless you get parts via me! :P

Thats a pretty ok looking truck but I wouldnt pay anywhere near $4k for it with all those km's

$3750, other than some dings and scratches the body is mint. Motor sounds A1, shifts good, good power, frame has been repaired but it is solid. Interior is nicer that the xterra :)

Timing belt and water pump are number one, wheel bearing in the drivers side needs to be done I think, maybe the axle, loud until you sweep or turn right. The next couple weeks will be spent going through it.

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

Archived