• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Been hearing rumours about the bumper height laws again...

82Yota

I was preoccupied when all of it went down a few years back so I dont know. Ive just heard it from a few people now. Maybe they mean that they are going to start overly enforcing it. I dunno

IV been hearing a bunch of crap got started on the Facebook, getting everyone all fired up, but did some research, it's all old info, from 5 or 6 years ago. I don't have Facebook but got my buddies to show me what is being said, but all the articles and links are from years ago. If everyone keeps quiet and doesn't wake the beast up, just keep it in the dark sleeping, then there won't be any problems. 

That being said, there is more enforcement lately , but not targeting anytype of vehicle, but all vehicles are equally suspectable to road side inspection, along with safety stickers being removed on spot and car/truck/SUV must be towed. Vehicle compliance is making there presence known, setting up road side checks daily,  removing anything from the road that they feel isn't up to par from soccor moms minivan to tractor trailers and everything in-between. But the vehicles arnt singled out as a type or modified vs stock, just everything on the road is at risk. 

Am I worried?.... No, I have the inspection book that the garage uses on my phone, but the inspection laws was too much to download, it is crazy in-depth, but the inspection rules that the garage sees is pretty easy to follow, and not one of our rigs is 100% within that rule book.

I know what my truck is and I know what it isn't. It's just like speeding, go 120 in the 110, they probably leave u alone, go 130 in 110 and they gonna fine u for speeding, argue with them, they gonna give u speeding ticket, reckless endangerment, failure to abide by posted traffic signs, etc,etc,

I don't think there has ever been an actual bumper height published measurement. Iv never found a definative answer back around 2000-2001, other than rumours and enforcers that make the number up. My 1979 lifted chevy truck on 39" tires was pulled over by an RCMP officer,  he threatened to take it off the road because he said my bumpers were too high, so i questioned him about the actual number but he failed to give me an answer other than mine is too high and stock is OK. But there is frame from ground measurements that are published and he could have enforced those measurements on me if he knew them.  Also it is noted that body lifts are not to exceed 3". 

The frame to ground measurements are categorized by the GVWR and has different measurements for passenger cars, light duty trucks and medium duty trucks within the said GVWR ratings of the vehicle.  I'm looking to see where I have those printed off from around 2000, I can't remember the specs.  I also think there is a bumper regulation concerning OEM placement and functionality of the bumper. I'm going to look to see if I can find my print outs. 

The specs are posted in this forum, we've had this discussion before.  There is a bumper height, and IIRC I'm 4-6" over it.  I think I could put on my 28" tires and pass inspection.

Do not quote me but I thought it was a LOT LESS than 44".  I think it was 26" and I'm 32"  But I'm not sure.  I remember the thread quite clearly, because I also posted I could build a drop bumper for day to day driving and remove it for wheelin'.  And James 'Like this' my post.

4 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

The specs are posted in this forum, we've had this discussion before.  There is a bumper height, and IIRC I'm 4-6" over it.  I think I could put on my 28" tires and pass inspection.

Do not quote me but I thought it was a LOT LESS than 44".  I think it was 26" and I'm 32"  But I'm not sure.  I remember the thread quite clearly, because I also posted I could build a drop bumper for day to day driving and remove it for wheelin'.  And James 'Like this' my post.

Even if you lowered your bumper, you would have to pass frame height measurement also.

Archived