• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

April 16th 2016 Club Run - Renfrew Loop

SQRLPWR

The votes are in and our club run for April 16th 2016 will be 'Renfrew Loop'

It's highly unlikely I'll be out for this, so I'm expecting a club member step up and volunteer to lead the trail. There is a GPX file available for the leader.

MEETING

09:00am - Tim Hortons, Enfield Big Stop

DEPARTURE
From Tims @ 10:00am sharp

PREREQUISITES

Have enough fuel, food and water for the whole day.
All vehicles should have proper front and rear recovery points. Rigs without will be turned away.
Be sure to review the 'Trail Rating Guide', 'Trail Risk Matrix' & 'Basic Requirements' before deciding if the trail is for you and your rig.

TRAIL INFO

LOCATION - Renfrew - Monte Vista Road

RATING GUIDE - 3.5 (Rugged Trail)

DISTANCE : 38.7KM

APPROX TOTAL TIME : 6h21

FULL SIZE DO-ABLE - YES

BASIC REQUIREMENTS - https://www.backcoun...ent-guidelines/

NOTES

• Renfrew loop is a full fun packed day out through a mixture of dirt roads, trails and an awesome waterfall to climb!
  • The waterfall section is why the trial is rated 3.5. for lower rigs or rigs with less available approach angle.
  • Some may be able to hook over the right hand side of the waterfall.
  • We had a stock (I think it was stock) Dakota with 31s through the waterfall. I can't recall what the ground or water conditions were like, but he wasn't able to tackle the climb square on. With some careful spotting we got him over the right hand side with just a little undercarriage drag.
  • Just mind the alder pin-striping and the couple pot holes on the way in!

Trail Risk Matrix v1.2.png

One of my favourite runs!!  Where the beavers had a dam might be a bad, or even not passible spot, but I can probably take a run back to check it this weekend.  Hell, I'll throw my chest waders and pick in the Jeep to make it passible if needed.

Won't be able to make it to this one, going down to speedsport that weekend! Going to definitely try to make it to the next one. (I keep saying that, but I mean it this time aha)

OK, I went out today to check where the beaver dam was, and it's not passible.  It's probably up 3' higher than the last time we ran and drained it.  We'll have to take the road that bypasses that part.  It doesn't really cut out too much of the trail.

On April 6, 2016 at 7:37 AM, RobinStryker said:

Should have my new tires on for this, can't wait to get out! 

Is a class 3 hitch with a hook on it (not bumper mounted ball) a recovery point, or should I pick up one with a D ring that goes in the hitch? 

Yes the hitch with hook works :)

Renfrew can be as good or bad as you want.  In general, you would be fine on Renfrew Loop.  I pre-ran a 4x4 rally on parts the loop using my Nissan Rogue.

Other parts I'd take a THawk through, but my Rogue wouldn't make it!

11 minutes ago, derekmac said:

The waterfall section is a spot that worries me with lower rigs though. A Trail Hawk might be ok, but I can't recall how much clearance they have. 

Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to

Agreed.  If I was leading the run, I'd be mindful as Derek is!  And then as Jay says, if you hook to the right like Jay often did in the early days, the THawk should be fine.  And I'll bet the Approach Angle is fine straight up!  Just mind the alder pinstriping and the couple pot holes on the way in!

And, at minimum, the THawk can do the long gravel loop and by-pass the rocky 3.5 rated sections as necessary.  Something for everyone!

The last time I was there, we had a stock (I think it was stock) Dakota with 31s through. I can't recall what the ground or water conditions were like, but he wasn't able to takle the climb square on. With some careful spotting we got him over the right hand side with just a little undercarriage drag.

6 hours ago, jay said:

Derek is right. That section is why the trial is rated 3.5.

He may be able to hook over the right hand side of the waterfall. The problem might be with approach angle too.

He would be fine there... I would be more worried about the washed out culvert up from there that makes the waterfall...

But even there I think he would fare out ok with the right approach to it.

Archived