• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

last minute beaverbank run

ram5.9

So I met up with Adam for a quick run through a portion of Hard and Soft. I ran some stuff on the other side of the road first and its really mucky. There has been some active logging on one of my favorite trails which has totally changed the feel back there. Similar to Ellerhouse.

Again, nice to meet you Adam. Didn't get many photos but did get one of his rig with some beaverbank mud on it :) Good day wheelin.

Last Miunte Run.jpg

It depends on the mud, I don't like muddy  colour deep water, but I love thick gooey slop that isn't watery and needs some wheel speed to get through, the type of stuff that pulls your boots off when u walk in it, that way there is no risk of hydrolock and is much easier on seals and bearings,  I also love hard technical lines with rock, stumps, fallen trees and such, the tighter the trail the bigger my smile

With the Grand, I started liking mud more, but as I built it up more, I started to like the technical stuff more.  With the TJ, I'm planning on staying out of the mud as much as I can, but will still play in it a bit, just not as much.  I want to try and keep the frame as clean as possible to help it not rust out.

Is frame rust a problem on the TJs?  I believe in general frame rust is not a problem. My '84 is fine.  Its only the sheet metal that rusted.  The only frame rust I've seen was where mud was sandwiched between a saddle tank and a frame for 30 years.  My bro's '76 Dodge.

Although I hear sheet metal frames on some gen Yota's is a big problem!

9 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Is frame rust a problem on the TJs?  I believe in general frame rust is not a problem. My '84 is fine.  Its only the sheet metal that rusted.  The only frame rust I've seen was where mud was sandwiched between a saddle tank and a frame for 30 years.  My bro's '76 Dodge.

Although I hear sheet metal frames on some gen Yota's is a big problem!

It's hard to find a tj with a frame under it. Boxed frames fill up with "debris" and it rusts from inside out. Also real bad spot on tj frames are at the trans/skid mount. They seem to rot there real bad. Your burb has channel frame so it will dry and "debris" will mostly fall out. Also it is much thicker than the boxed frames made under tj's. I think the frames go quicker than the sheet metal on tj's. All the ones IV looked at anyway. If you find one in good shape, preventive steps to maintain will go a long way. Next time I drop something at apjs I'll take a pic of the tj out front , the body looks nice and shiny, but the frame is gone front to back. Like non existent in places.

IV got a 78 Dodge lil red express clone  that is very rotton, immovable rotton, it's a 3 large piece and many small piece mess.

Wow.  I can understand Derek's reluctance to get his frame  muddy.  But salt water and salt air are probably just as bad.  Maintenance?  Drill drain holes in the bottom? Use holes in the side to stick a pressure washer wand in?  Clean and POR-15?  Can you buy new frames?  In my case if there is a problem I want to fix it and be able to enjoy my equipment!

Everyone's idea of frame prep is different. For example, my gfs grand am from Alberta is just like a new car. Zero rust, nothing even rusty colour, not even the exhaust. So before I undercoat it, I'm going to remove the plastic rocker covers , clean the underside of the car, and rustinhibit pantable coat everything, brake lines, and the works, then paint the whole underside of the car with a marine paint. Then have car undercoated by a shop that will drill the holes in the boxed areas and that will be my preventive step on that car. 

IV been slacking on my big Ford, now I will really have to work on cleaning up the frame again. It is uncoated and untouched except for factory paint in 1986. I will clean the frame, por15 it or something similar and then paint everything with a high gloss paint. I won't use any type of undercoating on this truck because the mud seems to "dry" the undercoating, and when washing mud off under the truck the undercoating will wash off too. IV had good luck in the past with painted off road trucks rather than just under coated off road trucks.

If I was prepping a previously undercoated truck, ID get it high-pressure steam cleaned to remove all the undercoating to allow for painting , and then continue my process above.

This is my opinion and I'm sure others have their method that is probably as good or better than how I do it. It has worked well for me in the past.

Archived