• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Locked keys in the Overland...

Eastcoastcam

15 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Please explain!  I thought you blew an expensive airbag..............

Think of driving a wedge to pry the door out enough to shimmy something down to the button... Now envision that wedge to be inflatable, starting out being flat...

For future use could you hide a FOB somewhere? Not sure about Jeeps, but my X can support 4 FOBs. I was fortunate in that I grabbed a Nissan keyless entry pad before they were discontinued. I attached it to my gas lid (inner side) and keep the Valet key hidden inside the X. In my teens I had an 8 hour walk once because I lost my keys at the bottom of a lake...never again will I be locked out or have no key!

Remote_door_opener_zps3ad6ea85.jpg

I have a chipless key under the Nissan that will open the one keyed door, but won't start the car.  Works great when you set the keys down, then get out and lock the doors...........  I've used it a few times.  Hidden deep inside a structural member, it is black with Krown/dirt and will never fall out.

When we are in the woods for SAR, we don't carry keys on our person.  The first reason of course is to not loose them in the woods.  The second is so that someone can move your vehicle if necessary.

Myself and several other folks that hike together, we have standard places of hiding them at the trail head without taking them in the woods on our person.

Another reason, you get hurt and someone goes out to get into your car or similar scenario. Or you want someone to move your car to another pickup spot.  We do that when kayaking on one way legs.     And where are your keys?

As Devin says, I go to great lengths to not get locked out.

I did the same thing Eugene until I found a keyless pad at a dealership in CB, the key is still there too....just in case. Not many people know there is a wet box on top of the X with a handle. I have it taped to the side in an area that unless you were standing on the roof, or know where it is, you'd never find it.

9015201b4046387400e1b3b3319267db.jpg

^^  Same with the Scout.  When I take it to the beach in the summer, top on or off, I leave the glove compartment door open.  Then 'stealers' don't feel there's a need to find out if there is anything in there.

I don't ever worry about locking the keys in anything except when I'm in the tow truck , I somehow managed to lock the keys in the tow truck with all my unlock tools were inside, that sucked

19 hours ago, Powerram said:

I don't ever worry about locking the keys in anything except when I'm in the tow truck , I somehow managed to lock the keys in the tow truck with all my unlock tools were inside, that sucked

Did you call CAA to come open the CAA truck? :rofl:

Archived