• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Question about my CV Axle

Crossley

Long story short a few days ago my lower ball joint seized up and let go. (Reason I missed the run actually.) and it well.. Broke several other things including ripping my Cv axle out. I was just curious if you guys think it could of done any damage when it got ripped out, or if I am probably good to just put a new one on? Buying the new one next weekend. If it helps my lower ball joint let go breaking the top of my hub assembly and I am assuming that's what caused the cv axle to rip out. Thanks in advance

If anyone curious heres list of stuff I am going to replace next weekend.

Lower & upper balljoint

CV Axle

Hub assembly

outter tie-rod end

12910952_1715631422038349_1348937997_n.jpg

12874160_1715631402038351_1252025484_o.jpg

Loops like it didid more than rip the axle out. It ripped your inner joint apart. 

Take a good look at the cup end and see if there's any damage and do the same with the rollers.  It possible something was damaged but not necessarily. 

You're hub is all that really holds the axle on the truck so when that let go it came wit it. 

Make sure it's clean, pack it with fresh grease and you should be fine. 

Also check the rest of the front end out including tir rod ends and pass ball joints. I'd also recommend replacing the brake flex line , it might have been compromised with strain bet not nessarily be visible

2 hours ago, Lil'monster said:

This is a toy cv so the part that is still attached to the truck just un bolts and you just bolt the new one on you should be good to go

2 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Loops like it didid more than rip the axle out. It ripped your inner joint apart. 

Take a good look at the cup end and see if there's any damage and do the same with the rollers.  It possible something was damaged but not necessarily. 

You're hub is all that really holds the axle on the truck so when that let go it came wit it. 

Make sure it's clean, pack it with fresh grease and you should be fine. 

Thanks guys, hoping the snow will melt this weekend so I can start tearing it apart.

1 minute ago, Powerram said:

Also check the rest of the front end out including tir rod ends and pass ball joints. 

I was actually planning to replace both pass ball joints and outer tie-rod end. They are fairly inexpensive all things considered. Was actually on my way home to replace my driver side tie-rod end when the ball joint let ago aha.

Archived