• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Tips for drilling through steel by hand

SQRLPWR

Is there a fool proof way of drilling 1/2in holes through 1/4in steel ? I'm using a 1/4in pilot cobalt bit at low speed & trying to keep the tip as cool as possible. But for some reason I'm not making much progress :(

I've got 12 horizontal and vertical holes to make, and I'm struggling LOL

Drill a smaller pilot hole, maybe 1/8" or 3/16". If you drill too slow then the steel will "work harden". Like every metal there is a window of opportunity when it comes to drilling it.

You might just have shitty bits. I would try a new smaller one personally

I used a stepped bit and then used a standard 1/2" bit and cleared the rest as the step is only 3/8's deep (between sizes). The step bit was new and it chewed through the steel very, very well at high speed. I drilled 10 new holes when I mounted my skids & sliders.

I bought mine at Fastenal, not Canadian Tire ;) 

Ah, yes I had some success with the stepped bit. The problem I'm gonna have is where there is no access from the outside face of the frame, where I'll have to drill from the inside of the frame, out.

An 1/8in pilot might not reach. I'll have to check.

I'll see if I can find a good quality 1/2in step too. ...mine's from CT.

Thanks

I believe there are 90 degree drills Jay if you need, maybe can rent them.

I concur, the stepped bits work well.

When I SOMEDAY mount my sliders, I have lots of room to drill the frame, and the slider brackets, I'm going to rent a magnetic drill.

Slap it on and let it turn!

I had the same issue (4 holes). You could measure many, many times and get it or, in my case, I had a "jig" made from 1/2" stock with a 1/8" hole drilled in the centre. The Outer part of the "jig" had a 3/4" flange to keep it flat against the outer frame rail (Think of a "T", or like this " l-- ". I had it made a local machine shop for about $25 iirc. I used a long 1/8" bit to drill the pilot hole and then the step bit....you get the rest.

Not sure your timeline, but I know that I have it here somewhere. Also not sure how thick your frame rail is compared to mine, but if it's close (as in not too long), you are more than welcome to use it. Now, to figure out where it might be...shed or basement...

44 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

Just go buy a couple good quality drill bit from fastenal or ackland grainger . Use a low speed plug in drill and take your time there is no fast solution . Bit quality is key

Yep, good bit and slow rpm will work well

4 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Yes, I always like a corded drill better for HD work.

Notwithstanding, I think IR or CH someone else has new cordless HD tools, but way too expensive for my use at this time!

I ended buying a set of Milwaukee Cobalt bits from HD, since I struggle to get to places during daylight hours now I'm vehicle-less

I managed to get 2 holes drilled before I either snapped the bit or, shattered the tip end... including the 1/2 in bit which broke at the shaft end!

Now I know Cobalt bits are hard and brittle, but I wasn't bending or putting a lot of force on them. Maybe a bad batch.....or do we think the Milwaukee big-box-store version is a cheaper version? Either way, I returned them.

Luckily I was out with Amber today and managed to get some more bits from ackland grainger - hopefully they'll fair better :)

7 minutes ago, Jawritch said:

I have never had any luck with cobalt bits. Broke 3 or 4 instantly and returned them

I've never had a problem with them but I use a drill press mostly as opposed to a hand drill. 

lol, I was always complaining to my dad about having shitty drill bits, that year for my birthday he surprised me with a set from Ackland Grainger. He buys a lot of **** from there so he got a good deal but the retail on the set was 300 bucks and its not a big set.

The difference between a good quality set and the el cheapo's you get at home depot or crappy tire is night and day!

I'll lend anyone just about any tool I have except my drill bits :)

Archived