• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

Well the time has come.  I took next week off of work, and I'll be stripping the Jeep down and painting it.  I'll try and take pics as I go, but usually once I start, I forget to stop to take them, lol.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prep time is starting. Did a quick wash of the Jeep with dish soap to help get the bulk grime off, and I'm starting to strip the doors down. The drivers side door is pretty much ready to start sanding, and fixing the small rust spots. 

I'll be doing the doors, hood, cowl, fenders and probably rear door off of the Jeep. That's really the bulk of the Jeep, so the tub should be pretty easy to do.

IMG_20190517_210712.jpg

IMG_20190517_210730.jpg

32 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Too *******’ cold to paint today!! At least here in PEI atm.

It's too cold here today too.  I still have to strip the fenders, and pull the hood and grill and sand those before I spray anything, so I might do some spraying tomorrow depending on what I get done.

2 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Looks really great! What are you using to paint?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far.  I'm using a 60 gallon compressor, through a few filters and desiccant drier and a Devilbiss HVLP gun.  For the paint, I'm using aircraft paint from work.

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far.  I'm using a 60 gallon compressor, through a few filters and desiccant drier and a Devilbiss HVLP gun.  For the paint, I'm using aircraft paint from work.

It sounds like you know what you are doing!

3 hours ago, derekmac said:

I was wondering the same as autumnwalker.  Have you masked off the rest of the garage(?)?  With the HVLP maybe you don't need to.  But I'll bet you need the desiccant drier!

4 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

It sounds like you know what you are doing!

I guess we'll find out, lol. 

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I was wondering the same as autumnwalker.  Have you masked off the rest of the garage(?)?  With the HVLP maybe you don't need to.  But I'll bet you need the desiccant drier!

Kind of, sorta... Any over spray is dry before it hits anything, but that does leave a bit of a dusty mess. 

I'm not using a throw away filter at the gun, so the desiccant drier is definitely needed.

I started on prepping the fenders today. One front one is just about done, so only three left to go...

This is the first time I've stripped something with a sandblaster, and man it's so much faster!

IMG_20190522_133956.jpg

IMG_20190522_134002.jpg

IMG_20190522_133920.jpg

They really did, and it's mainly because I didn't use a good primer when I put them together. I'll be using epoxy primer this round, which should make a difference. 

Tomorrow will be a go at it day since it's going to be nice out. I really want to get everything sprayed tomorrow, at least in primer. 

10 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

That looks like it was unpainted! I'm trying to remember - how long ago was it now that you built / painted these?

Hmmm, just over two years ago I believe. 

Archived