• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

Yup.  Relational rotation.  I way I envision it is: Chain the rear wheels down to the 'ground' on a RWD car, and put it in gear, the front end of the car has to lift! The bottom of the wheels want to rotate away from the front, just like driving. (and the pinion lowers in relation to the car, so always set your pinion up 2 degrees or something like that.  And there's axle wrap,.,.,.,.,.,.,.)

Similarly, chaining the front wheels down on FWD car, putting it in gear, the rear has to squat.  

So in your and Derek's case, with the weight transfer to the rear, the front wheels want to spin. 

I ramble.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

HOLY CRAP! how much is it new?

One piece skids that are not as strong or well-made start at about $500 USD.  Scott made this one himself, and with it being a three piece, you can still get at everything without having to remove the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to check the oil, and ended up installing an ammo can, lol.

Wasted space.

20161129_190443.jpg

Drill a couple of holes, add a couple of nutserts.

20161129_190439.jpg

I only had two nutserts left, so only two 1/4" bolts holding it right now.

20161129_191006.jpg

All mounted up.

20161129_190948.jpg

Plenty of room to open the lid up.

20161129_190955.jpg

Project ammo can OBA is just about done.  I just need to get a relay and weatherproof switch.  I can use it as is, but I want to get rid of the excess wire, and the alligator clamps.

Getting a mount made for it.

20161210_101104.jpg

20161210_101112.jpg

All mounted up.

20161210_105453.jpg

20161210_105459.jpg

Everything stuffed inside.

20161210_105506.jpg

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I saw the compressor on sale again!  Nice job!

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, jay said:

I like that idea! I was considering perma-mounting mine, but I couldn't find a longer hose to fit the coupler on these.

The hose that came with it is long enough to reach all the tires on my Jeep, so it should be long enough for the Zuk.  You could also cut the ends off of it, and get small hose barbs to put into the hose.  That way you could use regular compressor fittings.

I might be buying a used (used twice) winch. Someone at work has had it sitting in their house for the past four years. It's a Superwinch LP8500. It should be good enough for the amount of times I'll need it. 

The problem is, what am I going to do with all my lights? Ahhhhh! Lol

received_10157865093815082.jpeg

Last night's plan was to take a bolt out of the factory tow hooks so I could get one new one at Princess Auto when I went to do Christmas shopping. Taking that one bolt out turned into installing the winch, lol. 

I now have a 24" light bar, and my two big Hella lights that no longer have a spot to go. I might be able to get the Hella's on beside the winch, but not sure if they'll fit or not. I might just sell them and upgrade to LED headlights. 

20161213_221927.jpg

20161213_221959.jpg

20161213_221950.jpg

You should upgrade your headlights from 'stock' incandescent, you use your headlights every time you drive at night.  But I won't weigh in on what to upgrade to. 

The Hellas are optional, but 'tres' cool!  I hope you can put them back on.  They are auxiliary, and important if you had a busted headlight for one reason.  Although LEDs aren't supposed to burn out!

1 hour ago, Jawritch said:

Funny how that always happens isn't it? Winch is looking good, is it all wired up yet?

Yep, all wired and ready to go. 

24 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

You should upgrade your headlights from 'stock' incandescent, you use your headlights every time you drive at night.  But I won't weigh in on what to upgrade to. 

The Hellas are optional, but 'tres' cool!  I hope you can put them back on.  They are auxiliary, and important if you had a busted headlight for one reason.  Although LEDs aren't supposed to burn out!

The LED headlights are supposed to be 3-4 times brighter than the crappy stock lights, and are $200ish on Amazon. They would make a huge difference!

I'm going to try and make them fit, fingers crossed they will. 

Archived