• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, nope! :)  It'll be a few weeks until I get to making the other three, and get them mounted.  I might build the other front one Sunday though.  I really want some nice warmer weather so I can have the garage door open and work.  I can't get the Jeep in the garage right now as we have our old dryer in there, and I have the fender metal on the floor, and the table I'm using takes up a bunch of room.

I painted in my garage a couple weeks ago.  It was 10 degrees in my garage, right at the limit of the paint.  That's as hot as she gets in the winter. So I couldn't open the door for better ventilaltion.

I thought I was okay.  Deb says I was a little wonky.  Expecially when I burned the ribs on the BBQ. :-)

Course it could have been the beer and not the paint fumes!  I was painting wood with latex floor paint.  Dried pretty fast to the touch.  SOMEDAY when the garage is done I'll post  pic.

1 hour ago, jay said:

what are you going to do for blinkers? I would make some round ones under the headlights....CJ style

Blinkers are overrated. Lol. 

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I have a couple of smaller lights that I could mount on top of the fenders, but I'm not sure how they'll look. 

I do like the look of the round lights under the headlights. I was at PA today, and I should have grabbed a couple. 

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

And now Derek knows where to mount those big Hellas again!

Might Make it real hard to see with them up there. It lights up the hood and creates glare back at you

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

And now Derek knows where to mount those big Hellas again!

Hopes go up.

13 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Might Make it real hard to see with them up there. It lights up the hood and creates glare back at you

Hopes go down.   LOL

I think a focused spot light might be ok up there, but the Hella fogs would probably light up all of the hood. :(

5 hours ago, jay said:

oh damn...I thought for a second it was all done LOL - and yeah, that's how I would do it :)

I really do like that!  I'm just not sure if I need lights that are visible from the side too...

I have a couple of these lights https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-1-8-in-sealed-clearance-marker-light/A-p8553752e, and I was going to mount them on top of the new fenders, but I know it won't look right.

Maybe lights below the headlights like the one pictured, and a penny light on top of the fenders.  I might be able to put something inside the wheel well as well.

I could mount the light I have close to the hood, something like this.

20170403_170323.jpg

20170403_170319.jpg

11 minutes ago, jay said:

meh...I wouldn't run side markers on the fenders...that would ruin the clean look.

how about a tiny bright LED marker discreetly mounted on the inner fender

I know, and that's what I'm afraid of. :(  I want it to be legal though, and I'm not sure if only having lights on the front will be or not.  On the inner fender should work though.

What about a small amber LED strip and work it into the tubing / fender? My buddy used to do that in the rear fairings of sportbikes ... super clean.

FFPHCSEG61AS32R.LARGE.jpg

This sort of a thing (but smaller and amber) with the lights drilled "through" the fender / tube / whatever ... sort of like this:

KiWAV-motorcycle-mirrors-axe-led-turn-si

So, it turns out I need a three wire front light, but the side marker lights are only two wire.  

Since it's so nice out today, I've started on the second fender.  I find it much easier to see what I'm doing with the new mask too, through it doesn't really improve my welding skills, lol.

20170404_164815.jpg

20170404_164835.jpg

Archived