• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

2 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

The welds look good.  You should see my welds on the mounts I just made.  Not very pretty.  But they'll hold.  

Here's hoping these will hold too. :)

The second front fender is welded up.  I screwed up when I first started tacking the skin on, and had to cut it off.  Luckily I only had about 5 tacks done.  I forgot to put the brace in place, which helps set where the skin needs to go.  I was off about an 1/8", which I could have worked with, but figured it was better to start over and do it right.

Their plasma cutter must have shifted somehow when this cut was made, and I didn't notice it until I got to that spot to weld. :(

20170404_193235.jpg

Here they are together.  I'm not sure if I'll have time to get this one prepped and primed before we leave on Friday or not.

20170404_193514.jpg

20170404_193526.jpg

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I get home tomorrow, and have the next couple of days planned out. 

Depending on what time we arrive home tomorrow, and how tired I am, I'll either put the coil isolators in the rear so it'll finally sit exactly how I want, or I'll seam sealer my front fenders. 

Chances are it'll be the seam sealing, lol. I'm going to pick up a color match spray bomb Monday, and also get a can of dark grey for the tubing. That way it'll kind of follow the stock color scheme, which I like. 

The seam sealer I have is a rust preventative, structural aircraft seam sealer. I'm not 100% sure if it can be painted over though...  I only have one seam that will be visible though, and I'll try it on the underside first. 

Then it'll be time to get the front fenders cut out, and new ones installed. Once that's done, I'll start on the rear. 

Well I was too damn tired to do anything today, so everything will have to wait until tomorrow.    I think I'll just work on the fenders, and if I feel up to it, tackle the rear end.

I also bought 4" LED turn signals while I was away, but it looks like they'll be too big. :(  I'm on the hunt for stock JK ones now.  I need these before I can put the fenders on too.

10 hours ago, Jake said:

Those turned out great.  Can't wait to see them mounted!

Thanks, and me too!!

Color match paint is on, but it's hard to tell the difference in the pics.  I'm hoping to get the other three done on the weekend.

20170421_165905.jpg
20170421_165828.jpg
20170421_165818.jpg
20170421_165811.jpg
20170421_165801.jpg
20170421_165754.jpg

6 minutes ago, jay said:

Oh read an excuse to get some patina on them eh? ;) 

;) 

2 minutes ago, jay said:

Did u settle on a side marker?

Ummm, well....  No, lol.  Devon has JK lights for the front grill, but I still need to get something for the side markers.  I have lights, but they won't work though, as they are a single wire, and ground through the bolt mount.  The side marker lights on the Jeep are two wire, with an alternating ground, depending on whether the running lights are on or not.  The lights are sealed, so I probably couldn't get them apart to run another wire, and unhook the mounting bolt from the wiring.  Small lights are cheap at PA though.

Archived