• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

LOL...I was contemplating deleting the 6 inch ambers by upgrading the headlights to all-in-one LED projectors with amber angel eye turn signals.

But, I would also like to lockrite the front, swap the motor, go SOA, fix wheel bearing, lower the seats, etc etc etc LOL ....so many projects, not enough time or $$ :)

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jay said:

But, I would also like to ............, etc etc etc LOL ....so many projects, not enough time or $$ :)

Ditto!  And time..........  how many more years will I be wheelin'?  Is it worth spending more time and $?

So far, YES! lol

Today I installed a hand throttle.  I wanted to install it on the shifter, and did, but I ended up removing it.  I couldn't get it setup so that I could go through all the gears, and have it work in neutral.  So, I put the shifter on a bar, and it works great now!  Sorry about the crappy (and lack of) pics.  I do need to shorten the bar too...

20170225_150918.jpg

20170225_150910.jpg

56 minutes ago, jay said:

Looks cool....what's is for / how would ya use it?

I'll use it to keep the idle up while using the winch, and I can keep the rpms up some when going slow off-road, or in rough spots that would make your foot bounce, causing jerky driving. 

50 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Cool ya got it in,, I like the stationary idea better than on the shifter. I tried to get in the shed, snow still about 4'deep in front of the door. 

Yep, I prefer it being stationary as well. It's also down and out of the way, and it would be hard for something to hit it. 

Oh, I'm also not sure, but I may have broken a rib doing this, lol.  I was leaning HARD against the Jeep on my right side, and there was a loud pop, and intense pain.  It hurts to touch the area too.  It didn't stop me from doing it though. ;)

14 minutes ago, derekmac said:

Oh, I'm also not sure, but I may have broken a rib doing this, lol.  I was leaning HARD against the Jeep on my right side, and there was a loud pop, and intense pain.  It hurts to touch the area too.  It didn't stop me from doing it though. ;)

If breathing doesn't hurt, then probably not broken, speaking from experience. I broke a few doing  something stupid on day 3 of my 14 day hitch on the rig,  but finished the hitch without anybody knowing. Nothing the docs can do for ribs either but issue pain meds, took a month or 2 to heal enough to move easily.

But get checked out for risk of punctured lungs from broken ribs.

1 minute ago, Powerram said:

If breathing doesn't hurt, then probably not broken, speaking from experience. I broke a few doing  something stupid on day 3 of my 14 day hitch on the rig,  but finished the hitch without anybody knowing. Nothing the docs can do for ribs either but issue pain meds, took a month or 2 to heal enough to move easily.

Regular breathing doesn't hurt, just deep breaths.  I broke one rib, and fractured another on my left side when a ladder I was on slipped out, and I fell about 8 feet and landed on the ladder.  It hurt doing just about anything when that happened!

I just started doing some reading on it, and it sounds like a tear between the costochondral cartilage and the rib.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll start off on a sidenote.  My ribs are still sore, but slowly getting better. :)

Today I did a "proper" install of the hand throttle.  I replaced the 4 sections of cable cover with one long one, and put a mount in between the cruise and throttle clips.

20170312_161747.jpg

20170312_161811.jpg

20170312_161820.jpg

20170312_162509.jpg

20170312_162517.jpg

Tomorrow I think I might install my rear springs that I pulled out of an old Crown Vic many months ago.  From what I read, they should give me 3-3.5" of lift.  I'm sitting at 2" with the coil spacers right now, and am hoping the springs give me only 3" of lift.  I have a track bar bracket for the rear, so that should center the axle nicely.  The shocks on it are good for 2-3" of lift, so I should be good with those.  I might run into driveline vibs though, and if I do, I'll lower the transfer case skid just a tad with some washers.

I have a motor mount lift that would take care of any vibs, but I need to install a body lift before I can install the MML.  A BL is in the plans though, just waiting for my Jeep fund account to replenish since I bought the tube fenders for it.

I checked with Black Widow Gear today, and my fenders should be shipped out this week. :)  WooHooo!!

I also installed the rear track bar bracket and the Crown Vic springs.  I have to say I'm not too happy with the springs as it's sitting at the same height it was with the coil spacers. :(   I guess it's not all bad as the spacers are no longer in there...  Oh well.  I'm not sure how it rides either, but will find out soon.

OK, really quick test drive done, and it seems to ride really smooth.  Definitely smoother than before.  I'm still surprised that I didn't gain more height with the springs though, as they were 4" taller than the TJ springs, and "looked" to have the same diameter coils.  As long as they don't settle, I'll be happy with them for now.

1 hour ago, derekmac said:

OK, really quick test drive done, and it seems to ride really smooth.  Definitely smoother than before.  I'm still surprised that I didn't gain more height with the springs though, as they were 4" taller than the TJ springs, and "looked" to have the same diameter coils.  As long as they don't settle, I'll be happy with them for now.

could be a softer material, giving them more sag.  at least if the settle you can always throw the spacers back in, plus youll get more droop t of them regardless which is always nice.

57 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Come on, you know you want to..

put the spacers back in as well! Lol

49 minutes ago, jay said:

It would be rude not to lol

24 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

could be a softer material, giving them more sag.  at least if the settle you can always throw the spacers back in, plus youll get more droop t of them regardless which is always nice.

So, I happened to remember that I have four 0.6" coil isolators.  Two were from the front of mine, and two from a ZJ.  I can stack them in the top of the rear as they nest perfectly (had them that way in the front for a bit), and that should give me about an inch more height.

It does make sense they the springs would be softer since a Crown Vic is supposed to be a plush riding car.  I don't mind making the Jeep ride a bit nicer. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email saying that my tube fenders are shipping today, and should be here Thursday. :)   It'll probably be weeks/months before I get a chance to start at them, but I'm looking forward to getting them all welded up and on.

Since I've done very little welding before, I am a bit nervous.  I might have to get a new adjustable auto-darkening helmet before I attempt it too, as I find the auto helmet that I have now too dark to see what I'm welding well.

Archived