• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Powerram said:

Do your tires rub now? If not, why not wait till you have the bigger tires , then trim to fit.

The fronts do just a bit if the tire is stuffed and turned. It's not bad, and has only happened a couple of times. I might just wait. 

9 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Why not go high-line tube fenders or whatever they call those things ... replace the rusty sheet metal, more clearance, AND you get trail protection.

When it comes to inspection time (almost 2 years), that is the route I'll be going.  I'm planning on getting the Black Widow Gear ones that you weld together yourself.

8 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

That looks great, I don't remember seeing trimmed YJ fenders off hand.

I might do this (maybe even tonight) as I do like the look.

I trimmed an inch off of the flares today, and finally wired my aux LED reverse lights to a switch.  Well, partially wired them the way I want.  I still need to tap into the factory wiring so I can have them either come on in reverse, or when I want them to.

20160925_120429.jpg

20160925_120411.jpg

OK, so I'm looking at tires (yes my head hurts, lol).  My plan is to get a set of 33x12.5x15, in either an MT or AT variant.  I'm looking at the Antares Deep Digger Mud Terrain ($720 all in for four), the BFG T/A KO2 ($810 all in for four), and the Techno Explorer M/T (told the 31 is actually closer to a 33, $722 tax in, plus environment fees for four).

I like the look of the Antares, but can't find much on them.  The KO2 seems like a pretty good tire, but might pack up in mud.  The Techno looks like it would be great offroad, but suck on the road.  I'm not really sure what else to look at, and really don't want to spend anymore than what the Antares would cost me.  I will try and find a good used set first also.

The previous gen BFG ATs that I have, not the current gen that came out 1-2 years ago, really really pack up in mud.  My Krawlers really really crawl through mud!

But I like the ATs for winter and street and hard pack.  I got all 8 used, but like new,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe I'll go and look at the Antares, and go from there. I just really wish I could find some more info/reviews on them. 

I might go look at those remolds too, since I have a good spare set of Toyo A/T's I could use for longer drives. 

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

Maybe I'll go and look at the Antares, and go from there. I just really wish I could find some more info/reviews on them. 

I might go look at those remolds too, since I have a good spare set of Toyo A/T's I could use for longer drives. 

Another cheap tire, but not sure who carries it, while I was in alberta I purchased a set of Summit Mud Hog tires, very similar to the old Goodyear wrangler mt, great bang for the buck, and another reasonable tire is the Federal Courgia MT, also great bang for the buck

37 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

that is such a Jeep thing. I think every TJ owner has replaced that resistor.

Possibly a North American designed vehicle thing.  I've replaced many, especially on 70s and 80s vehicles.  I thought they had gone with an electronic style now if there is such a thing.  To reduce voltage by burning it off as heat is so old-school.  Like brakes on a car.  Spend energy to get a vehicle moving, then 'burn' off kinetic energy as friction/heat and waste it.  What a waste.  At least hybrids use re-generative braking.

Archived