• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, derekmac said:

Well, I'm getting a free hitch tomorrow.  The problem is, the receiver is rust welded in.  If I can get it out, then the hitch might make its way on to the Jeep.

It's fun beating on big stuff.  Small rusted stuff breaks.....

Which reminds me I need to purchase a ball peen hammer for MY garage!  As opposed to the one that stays in my brother's garage!

1 hour ago, jay said:

Must feel nice to have ur own garage now :)

Starting to,  just starting to. The garage is still full of stuff we haven't found a place for yet, and I'm just starting to work on vehicles a bit in the driveway.  So it feels real promising!

On 23/08/2016 at 9:25 PM, derekmac said:

I also just ordered a set of easy on/off fasteners for the hard top.

$_57.JPG

How is the top fastened now? Just bolts or torx head? That looks like a pretty cool kit, the way it should be, 

Phillips are nice when new, much better than slot, but othernationalities won't use the Canadian designed best of all, the Robertson.  Like VHS and Beta and other things.  What gets accepted as standard is often not the best technology or tool for the job!

1 hour ago, derekmac said:

Yep, we use Robertson screws on crates that get sent to Italy, and every now and then we need to send a new batch of bits over to them!

That's funny!  But just like Ikea and other manufacturers of self-assembled furniture I guess, include the Allen keys!  Probably many folks, especially living in apartments around the world, don't have the tools in their closets the way we do!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I was given a free hitch for my Jeep.  The draw bar was stuck in it, and no matter what I've tried, I can't get it out.  I installed the hitch anyway, and tried hooking a strap to it and a big tree, and letting the weight of the Jeep pull on it, while I whacked it with my sledgehammer.  Guess what...  It's still in there!  I'll keep it on for now, and if it hangs up off-road, I'll take it off, and try and find someone with a press to try and press it out.

I ordered a hitch wiring harness off of Amazon, and got that installed tonight.

6 minutes ago, derekmac said:

A couple of weeks ago I was given a free hitch for my Jeep.  The draw bar was stuck in it, and no matter what I've tried, I can't get it out.  I installed the hitch anyway, and tried hooking a strap to it and a big tree, and letting the weight of the Jeep pull on it, while I whacked it with my sledgehammer.  Guess what...  It's still in there!  I'll keep it on for now, and if it hangs up off-road, I'll take it off, and try and find someone with a press to try and press it out.

I ordered a hitch wiring harness off of Amazon, and got that installed tonight.

You can come out to my garage and use my press if you want. Ill be around all weekend

On 8/25/2016 at 8:37 AM, sar4x4 said:

Phillips are nice when new, much better than slot, but othernationalities won't use the Canadian designed best of all, the Robertson.  Like VHS and Beta and other things.  What gets accepted as standard is often not the best technology or tool for the job!

and the reason that philips over took robertson in popularity is because robertson refused to allow industry to make them where philips sold licenses for people to create the philips head.

Not a screw expert, seen it once on a documentary :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, the idea of trimming my fenders has been going through my head.  One reason is to clear 33's when I get them.  I'm just not sure how much I want to take off.  I bought little marker lights at Princess Auto today in case I end up cutting the factory lights out.

This is what I'm thinking right now.

20160923_175626.jpg

20160923_175632.jpg

Archived