• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

9 hours ago, derekmac said:

I could, but not sure if the evil wife eye would be worth it!! lol

I think I want to get a body lift in first though, so I won't have to worry about clearance issues.

I got a really nice set of 5 dick cepek crushers 315 75 16. They should fit your Jeep, I had them on my bone stock Dakota for TJ trail ride

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Powerram said:

I got a really nice set of 5 dick cepek crushers 315 75 16. They should fit your Jeep, I had them on my bone stock Dakota for TJ trail ride

Ah man, as much as I'd love to get those, I just don't have the cash right now. :(   Hmmmm, those might actually be a bit too big.  That would be close to a 35, wouldn't it? 

yep, they say they close to 35, but more like 34". All the research I did before putting them on my dodge Dakota said I need at least 4" suspension lift combined with a 3" body lift. I put them on bone stock with broken rear spring shackles, the Jeep has way more tire clearance than my Dakota. If ya want to try them on, I can throw them on here for ya

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing how they fit. They say a 3" lift is needed to run 33's on mine, which is what I have in the front (2" in the rear), but there's tons of room with the 31's on it!

I think I'd just have to extend my bump stops, and possibly trim the fenders some to make them fit well. 

13 hours ago, derekmac said:

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing how they fit. They say a 3" lift is needed to run 33's on mine, which is what I have in the front (2" in the rear), but there's tons of room with the 31's on it!

I think I'd just have to extend my bump stops, and possibly trim the fenders some to make them fit well. 

I ran my 33s on 2" coil spacers, never had a problem. I am running the 36s on around 4"-4.5"...

6 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

I ran my 33s on 2" coil spacers, never had a problem. I am running the 36s on around 4"-4.5"...

I honestly hadn't even considered going bigger than 33's.  That was my goal, but depending on how the test fit goes, that might change.  It'll be awhile before I can afford new to me tires anyways. :(  

I know I could sell my like new Toyo AT's on the Rubi rims for a half decent buck, but I really don't want to.  I'd sell the Duratracs on the rims if I could make up close to what a different set would cost me.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

what would you be looking to get for the duratracs if you decided to sell?

I just paid $500 not too long ago, so I think $400 (with the rims) is what I'd need to get out of them. 

15 minutes ago, derekmac said:

I just paid $500 not too long ago, so I think $400 (with the rims) is what I'd need to get out of them. 

I missed that you were selling them with rims...which i would not need.

What sort of shape are they in?  If you decide to sell seperately, let me know and perhaps we can work something out.

So what is done here is a tire comparison but have propped up the 31" tire so the rim center is on the same axes as the 315 there isn't as much height difference as you would think

IMG_20160602_105332598_HDR.jpg

The real life measurements of these tires are 34" unmounted on the crushers, 29.5 for the smaller tire. Advertised size is 315/75r16 for the crusher, 31x10.5r15 for the wrangler

Just now, derekmac said:

Man, those Crushers would look awesome on the TJ!!!!   My birthday is coming up, anyone want to buy them for me???  LOL :) 

I'll give you special birthday Pricing on a set of 5 , $900

10 minutes ago, Powerram said:

I'll give you special birthday Pricing on a set of 5 , $900

That's a ******* good deal!  But I just can't. :(  Between my wife having to pay for physio, and soon needing to get a custom knee brace, my Jeep's the last thing I'd be able to buy something for right now. :( 

It's all good though.  I'm not unhappy with the tires on the Jeep now, and I'll get a bigger set when time/money allows. :)   In the mean time, I can do the upgrades I'd want to do before going bigger.  It should have a bigger tierod bar, and I really would like to have a small body lift on it first.

1 minute ago, derekmac said:

That's a ******* good deal!  But I just can't. :(  Between my wife having to pay for physio, and soon needing to get a custom knee brace, my Jeep's the last thing I'd be able to buy something for right now. :( 

It's all good though.  I'm not unhappy with the tires on the Jeep now, and I'll get a bigger set when time/money allows. :)   In the mean time, I can do the upgrades I'd want to do before going bigger.  It should have a bigger tierod bar, and I really would like to have a small body lift on it first.

Right on,  I don't really want to sell them, but right now seems like a kinda short time with what we got on our plates too. Just figured id toss it out there to ya,  good luck with the recovery of your wife, and her knee brace. 

Im hoping to still have the tires when I get to working on the suburban, they will be pretty cool on that. Time will tell I guess.

So the kids HATE that there's no headrests in the TJ, so I finally decided to do something about it. 

I've had these in the garage for years (can't remember what they're from), and the color was a damn close match, so I used them. Just drilled a couple of holes in the seat frame, and slid them in 

Now they do flop around some, but not too bad. Both kids said it's much better sitting in it now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

49 minutes ago, derekmac said:

I picked up a couple of quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax today, and will get the trans fluid changed tomorrow.  From what I've read, the RP is supposed to help it shift smoother.

Is it shifting rough?

Just now, Powerram said:

Is it shifting rough?

Not really, no.  It seems that anyone that has switched from the Mopar fluid to the RP has noticed smoother overall performance though.  I was planning on changing the fluid anyways, so figured I'd give it a try.

Lol.  I always convince myself that things work better after maintenance even if maybe they don't!  But I do know lack of maintenance will eventually bite you in the ***!

Just taking a break from painting the new (to us) house before we move in.  Maybe I'll test fit the Scout in the garage later when moving some stuff..

Well I have a bit of a dilemma. When I was filling the fluid, I had approximately a 3" piece of silicone tubing attached to the bottle. Well, didn't it just so happen to decide to fall in the transmission when I was removing the bottle. 

I I drained the fluid into a clean container, and could just feel the tube through the drain hole with the tip of my pinky finger. I've tried hard wire, small needle nose pliers, and blowing air through the fill plug to try and move it. Nothing worked though. 

So other than basically tearing the entire Jeep apart to remove the transmission and get at it, I have no clue what to do. 

Doing that lying down on my garage floor is something I'm really not wanting to do. That and I need it to get to work tomorrow. 

I tried for hours to get it out, but couldn't.  I just filled it back up, and I'm hoping for the best this week.  I can't see soft tube hurting the trans though...  I'll drain it again next weekend, and see what I can do.

You might be able to remove the cross member and lower the trans down a bit, pull the shifter and top plate off the trans, and reach the tube that way from inside the Jeep reaching through the shifter hole in the floor , but as a last resort. Most likely, that tube will just stay in the bottom and never move once that lube is back in. If it were mine, id just fill to spec, and forget it's even in there.

Archived