• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

So I'm thinking about making a run to the u-pull to grab a few things.  I've been thinking about getting front coil springs, and tie rod assy from a V8 ZJ.  I know the tie rod assy is a good upgrade, but I've been reading different things on the coils.  The stated lift they give ranges from 1"-3".  I have 2" spacers in mine now, and I'm happy with how the rear sits, but I'd like to get rid of the rake, which means I need to go another 0.75"-1" higher in the front.

I'm sure that with some combination of the coils with the ZJ coil isolators, or my BB will work.  I guess it'll just be trail and error figuring out what will work. Hell, even if it still just gives me 2", it should flex a bit better than the stock coils with the spacers.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, derekmac said:

Here are before/after pics I found online.

Before, stock springs and 2" spacer.

BeforeZJSprings007.jpg

After, with V8 ZJ coils.

After005.jpg

That would be about perfect for me.

These pictures show absolutely no difference in height... But he did eliminate the spacers there in the front... The only change is the angle and distance it was taken from...

For the tie rod, you are better off buying new, with new end and adjuster sleeve. They are not overly expensive, mine was $85 before tax and shipping when I ordered it from autopartsway for all 3 pieces. I added a blower resistor to it to bring it up in total to get the cheap shipping...

The slight angle difference in the pics would exaggerate it some, but not enough to make that difference shown. There's definitely a slight increase in height, which is all I'm after. 

A tie rod assy is only $6.75 at Kennys. I'll pull one, and if the ends are still pretty tight, I'll grab it. If nothing else, it'll make for a good spare. 

So I made it to Kenny's today, and there was an V8 Limited ZJ there. :)  I pulled the coils and isolators out of it, and I also found a half decent Pioneer deck in another rig that I grabbed.  I don't mind if a $20 junkyard deck gets stolen, but I wouldn't be happy if I bought a new one, and it got ripped out.  Now I just need to get a wiring harness for it, and it'll be good to go. :) 

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

I need at least one radio, for the Scout. It had an AM radio.  Some folks may have to look that up as 'in the olden days', lol.

Got some other ideas, must go there!

I listened to 960 (CHNS?) growing up. :) 

They had another half decent Panasonic radio in a truck there.  I took it out as it was in a Dakota, and the adapter plate was the same as what I needed for the Jeep.  I doubt it'll last long just sitting there.

I installed the ZJ springs tonight, and they lifted it another 0.5".  Not as much as I wanted, but better than nothing.  I could take both (stock and ZJ) coil isolators out, and put just the 2" coil spacers in, and it'll sit exactly how I want.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

I need at least one radio, for the Scout. It had an AM radio.  Some folks may have to look that up as 'in the olden days', lol.

I have a Kenwood cd player u can have Eugene 

I was also going to install the stock JK shocks in the front, but I didn't feel like fighting with swapping the bar pins over.  I might just try and find a set of bar pin eliminators for them.

7 minutes ago, BLAZZING-XJ said:

I have a Kenwood cd player u can have Eugene 

We need to meet up sometime!  I also owe you a phone call, but whatever you needed it's probably too late now!  Oh dear.  You seem to meet up with Deborah quite often at the liquor store, lol.

4 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I have an aftermarket deck you can have Eugene. I'll check the garage tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I made a set of bar pin eliminators, put the JK front shocks in, took both front coil spring isolators out and replaced them with the 2" coil spacers that were in there before. It's now sitting at 3" over stock in the front, and the rake is now gone. :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jawritch said:

Those BPE's look really good, good job!

Thanks! I was going to buy a set, but I figured I was better off paying $7 for a piece of metal and making my own, compared to paying over $60 for a set. Mine might not look as pretty as ones you buy, but they should do the trick. 

4 hours ago, derekmac said:

Thanks! I was going to buy a set, but I figured I was better off paying $7 for a piece of metal and making my own, compared to paying over $60 for a set. Mine might not look as pretty as ones you buy, but they should do the trick. 

I only paid $40 for my RC ones, but that was back when the exchange rate was at par or better... 

18 minutes ago, jay said:

Nothing wrong with that :)

Could ya sell the 31's to go towards some 33's?

I could, but not sure if the evil wife eye would be worth it!! lol

I think I want to get a body lift in first though, so I won't have to worry about clearance issues.

Archived