• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

Got my light strips mounted and temporarily wired. I have them wired with my light bar right now, but plan on putting them on their own switch.  It turned out better than I thought it was going to, and the best part is, it didn't cost me anything. :) 

26923010095_f5da3e6524_b.jpg

Rock lights by Derek MacMillan, on Flickr

26317859454_3f15fd2f59_b.jpg

26889587576_2a1e0fbecc_b.jpg

26923010995_94e2435686_b.jpg

This is looking out and down the drivers door.

26855613381_66b9cc0b55_b.jpg

26829416612_8b8825a850_b.jpg

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I am stealing this

IV had" rock"lights on my old Dodge one time , but they got used more for undercarriage repairs than wheeling. The rubber housing tractor lights is what I used.

So, I finally went to change the rear shocks to put longer ones on, and as I went to remove the top mounting bolts, one on each side snapped.  The fist bolt I tried on the pass side came out, but the other one broke.  The first one on the drivers side broke, and I didn't tempt the other one.  I'm not sure if I should try and drill them out, or use a cut off wheel with my Dremel.

That pics not mine, but that's what I have to deal with.

IMG_2436_zps025a1f8f.JPG

I tried using my air chisel, but it kept slipping off the shaft.  I also thought about trying to weld something to it, but there's not much room, and it's right about a plastic gas tank.  Eeek!!

9 hours ago, jay said:

Yeah don't blow yourself up!!

When I loose a Nissan bolt, I've learned center punching and drilling seems to be the most effective.

Usually I just weld a flat washer to the broken stud and then a nut to the washer and usually back out with no problem. Your call with the tank, myself , I'd hit it with the welder, but each to there own. 

Maybe I'll see if I can get at it with the welder.  I imagine the heat from welding will help loosen it too.

Searching shows some guys loosening the body mounts, and lifting the body some to get at them.  That will be a last resort though.

7 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Wonder what's it's like to work on a 'southern' vehicle and this doesn't happen much!  

Impact wrenches help too.

Wouldn't it be nice!!

So I found a guy that cut small access holes in the tub, and it honestly seems like it might be the easiest way to do it.  No ******* around trying to reach up from underneath, and the hole will be there if I need to access them again.  Of course, I'll be using antiseize on the bolts so they don't seize up again.

Here are the pics he took:

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

hole3.jpg

hole4.jpg

hole5.jpg

patch1.jpg

patch2.jpg

patch3.jpg

patch4.jpg

I've found the best way of getting out a broken bolt is to drill it out using a left handed drill bit. Most of the broken bolts I dealt with are from working on motorcycles and are much smaller, those ones in your pictures look pretty manky but might be worth a shot and easy enough to try.

Easy outs should be outlawed and banished to the ends of the earth imo!

7 hours ago, 82Yota said:

That's pretty neat rig, I use a small home hardware oxy /map torch for tight little spots. It can cut 3/8" studs and also heat sopts very isolated without burning down the rig. But that video is pretty cool

I've never seen anything like that before, very cool!!

I didn't have much room, or a good angle to whack at them. My Dremel with a cut off disc worked great. Well, until it died. I was able to use my air one though, but it was slow since my compressor has a pretty low cfm. 

I didn't finish it last night, but I'll get it done tonight. 

image.jpeg

All sealed up. It rides much better now too! The shocks I put in are just stock shocks from a newer JK, but they're about 2.5" longer, which works great with the 2" lift. I'm going to change the front out too, but I either need to get bar pin eliminators, or swap the bar pins from the old shocks over.  

image.jpeg

Archived