• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a bit different wheeling it compared to the Grand. Much rougher, but really easy to maneuver around stuff. The 4:1 t-case paired with a standard made crawling up over stuff very controllable. Same for going down hill. Very happy with it so far!

9 hours ago, derekmac said:

Quite a bit different wheeling it compared to the Grand. Much rougher, but really easy to maneuver around stuff. The 4:1 t-case paired with a standard made crawling up over stuff very controllable. Same for going down hill. Very happy with it so far!

Rough with coil springs and axle disconnects?  Take a ride in my rig! lol

I might get to post some more stuff yet, but suffice to say I used my Currie Deflator on Saturday and MY I LIKE IT.

And dropping from 32psi to 20psi sure smooths out the ride!  I'll go lower next time........  since the compressor works so well!

I don't think there are too many rigs that were as comfy as the Grand! :)  The TJ actually isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I think maybe with a slightly softer rear shock, it won't be as bad.  Or maybe just bigger tires. ;) 

Speaking of tires...  I'm trying to figure out what size I should go with.  Right now it has 245/75-16 (30.5") on it.    I'm wondering if I should switch to a 15" rim?  I was thinking either 31x10.5 or 32x10.5 if I do.  I plan on sticking with the 2" BB for a while, so I need to make sure the tires will fit.  I don't mind trimming if needed though.

3 hours ago, derekmac said:

What would I want for BS, 3.75, 4.00?  I don't want them going out too far past the fenders.

With 4" BS you are probably going to experience rubbing in the rear tub. I'd go with 3.5"  B.S. ,maybe even3-1/4", it would keep your rear tires from rubbing on the tub. I just sold a set of 3-1/4" b.s. rims to a guy with a Cherokee xj and with 31" tires they are flush with the factory fender flares being a 8" wide rim.

41 minutes ago, Eastcoastcam said:

They were 5.5" backspace, I believe... If I hadn't traded them away already I would have give them to you...

Oops , I was thinking of a different rim that looks similar. You are right

My bad , they are 5-1/4 "

Looking at 4 Wheel Parts, most of the rims have 3.75 BS.  From what I could find looking for pics, I think they'd stick out too far.  I'd like to see something in person though.  Most pics also had 12.5 wide tires, and I only want 10.5.

Picked up four 31x10.5 15 Duratracs today. Only 4000km on them, and got them with rims for $500. 

Wasn't really planning on getting tires, and I did kind of want bigger, but these will do for now. They'll also save my Toyo AT's from getting chewed up off-road. 

14BD5C45-2580-4764-9490-3F0A5E9F9C4F.jpg

FE6815D5-B43A-4D37-A6FA-A2EB4287CE01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe for that price you get the template to build it yourself.  And if you're lucky the raw steel MIGHT ship for that amount! lol

Here's hoping for ya though!  Amazon should dump them if they don't come through!

It really is too good to be true!  I probably couldn't buy the raw material here for that price!! lol  I won't cancel the order, so if it ever does come back in stock, it'll ship for that price.  I've waited months before for something that was out of stock to ship.

My new u-joints should be here tomorrow, so I should have the Jeep back on the road for the weekend.  I was really hoping to be able to drive it tomorrow with the roof and/or doors off, since it's going to be so nice out. :(  Oh well, plenty more nice weather to come! :) 

Just realized that I didn't post in here that I needed a new passenger side axle u-joint.  Whoops, lol.  I ordered an extra for when the drivers side goes.  And I bought Spicer ones, if that really matters?

53 minutes ago, derekmac said:

Just realized that I didn't post in here that I needed a new passenger side axle u-joint.  Whoops, lol.  I ordered an extra for when the drivers side goes.  And I bought Spicer ones, if that really matters?

Spicer ones are great. IV purchased several different brands, the worst one is the upgrade high strength one Napa sells with red cup seals, yellowish box with a picture of a 4wd truck on on the front.They break easily and wear fast. The rest arnt worth mentioning positive or negative but when available I always try and choose spicer 

• 3 weeks later...

So last night while browsing the interwebs, I saw a pic of a rig with rock lights, and remembered that I made two LED light strips for the WJ, and never mounted them.  Went out to the garage, and they're going to work perfectly on the TJ. :)  They're just strip lights that were left over from when I did under cabinet lighting in the kitchen, and I put them in a silicone hose, and sealed them with caulking.

I still need to mount and wire them up, but I think they'll work pretty good.

26808125642_7795af28f1_b.jpg

Rock lights by Derek MacMillan, on Flickr

26628761700_35b94c6259_b.jpg

Rock lights by Derek MacMillan, on Flickr

Archived