• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

Today I sprayed the underneath with some LPS 3.  There was lots of undercoating from when the previous owner had it, but I noticed a couple of dry spots, so sprayed them, and everything else.  I also drilled a couple of drain holes in the rear of the frame, as there's none in the back of it.

We drove it to the valley today to pick up a set of 2" coil spacers, and it developed an exhaust bang.  Looking at it, the bolts that attach the down pipe to the manifold are a bit loose.  There's also a broken hangar in the back just past the muffler.  The muffler looks like it's on its last legs, so I'll just wait to get everything exhaust related done all at once.

To prepare for wheeling, I decided to take the front sway bar links out to make sure they were not seized.  Started on the passenger side, and it came out nice and easy.  "Great" I thought.  Went to do the drivers side, the nut came off easily, but the bolt is seized in the link bushing.  I tried hitting the bolt with a hammer, and turning it, but it won't break free.  I sprayed penetrating fluid on it, so maybe it'll work its way through, and let it break free.  

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, jay said:

U getting wheeling withdrawals? I know I am LOL

Am I ever!!  lol

14 minutes ago, dereku said:

The Renfrew trail is wide open. I cut some things today and the ice in all the puddles is broken up or melted. 

Nice!  I want to do the waterfall section, but I think I'm going to install the BB before I do any wheeling.  I know I won't need it, but it'll help.

I can't remember if I posted this or not, and I'm too lazy to look back, but I measured the TJ stock compared to the WJ lifted 4", and at the rockers, the TJ is close to 2" higher, and at the transfer case skid, the TJ was about 3/4" lower than the WJ.  I was pretty surprised at how close they were!  I'm not ever sure how I wheeled the WJ when it was stock!! lol

7 hours ago, derekmac said:

So, before I install the coil spacers, should there have been longer bolts? I've looked at a few different sets online, and some come with them, and some don't.

Longer bolts for what? You only need longer bolts if you are going to put a spacer for your bumpstops.

5 minutes ago, Eastcoastcam said:

Longer bolts for what? You only need longer bolts if you are going to put a spacer for your bumpstops.

Ahh, that makes sense.  DOH!  Looking at the ones that came with longer bolts, they also had the bumpstop extensions.

Carry on, nothing to see here. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, e36m3 said:

That's what she said hahaha

LOL!!

I picked up tow hooks today (thanks James!!!!), and got them installed.  Now it had a bar with lights on it when I bought it, and I kind of wanted to keep it on.  I mounted it on top of the hooks, and I don't 100% like how it looks because of the wide mounts on the bar, but I guess it's better than nothing.

F5617192-7F08-4589-9574-64A600FF3822.jpg

4A08F9B1-A191-4D06-B4D2-F63E42501468.jpg

I think I'm going to mount my light bar here too.

4B061266-A1CA-4125-AD6F-B11C3812F31F.jpg

45 minutes ago, derekmac said:

I picked up tow hooks today (thanks James!!!!), and got them installed.  Now it had a bar with lights on it when I bought it, and I kind of wanted to keep it on.  I mounted it on top of the hooks, and I don't 100% like how it looks because of the wide mounts on the bar, but I guess it's better than nothing.

F5617192-7F08-4589-9574-64A600FF3822.jpg

4A08F9B1-A191-4D06-B4D2-F63E42501468.jpg

I think I'm going to mount my light bar here too.

4B061266-A1CA-4125-AD6F-B11C3812F31F.jpg

You could possibly bend up a new piece of tube and make the mounting plates long enough to go underneath the hooks... ;)

10 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Bar definitely needs paint or powder coating!  And what are those broken tabs just outboard of the hooks?

I was going to clean up the bar and repaint it before I put it back on, but didn't get that far, lol.

That's where the factory fog lights would have been.  I could have mounted my big ones there, but they are too deep, and would hit the fenders.

If it was my truck, I would mount the light bar below the bar. and mount the round spots on each side of the windshield . my buddy has on 06 Rubicon and that's how his is setup. Looks a lot better IMO

1 hour ago, derekmac said:

I was going to clean up the bar and repaint it before I put it back on, but didn't get that far, lol.

That's where the factory fog lights would have been.  I could have mounted my big ones there, but they are too deep, and would hit the fenders.

Better the bar and hooks on and not painted, then not on!  My fogs and driving lights are just for looks, so far.  Only 1/4 of the wiring complete! lol

19 hours ago, e36m3 said:

If it was my truck, I would mount the light bar below the bar. and mount the round spots on each side of the windshield . my buddy has on 06 Rubicon and that's how his is setup. Looks a lot better IMO

Looks cool but I found they lit up the hood and fenders there creating glare. IV also ran them on top of the windshield and it showed every Nick and dust spot in the glass and also lit up the hood. When I drive in night , I don't want to see my hood or windsheild. I go as far to have no illumination inside too, no gauages, no chargers or accessories, nothing shining back at me, total blackness makes it so much easier to see, especially in a dusty or snowy condition

I've heard that about roof lights.  It's been said for decades.  Never had them though!  I like a bright dash but certainly no hood glare!

Also I believe in good headlights.  That you use 'everyday'.  Not 4 lights across the top of a roll bar on a pickup.  (I'm dating myself here!) That you may use twice a year...

And with shitty headlights!

I like the looks of the lights up high, but I agree with the glare being bad, and it actually making it harder to see. When I had the light bar on the roof of the WJ, it was back far enough that there was no glare. 

Archived