• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hella H4 halogens in the Burb, with an aftermarket relay kit delivering good voltage to them (the original wiring has full draw going through the switch), still don't light up the night like the OEM in my Rogue.  Oh well, the Burb won't go fast enough to overrun the headlights anyway!

46 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

The Hella H4 halogens in the Burb, with an aftermarket relay kit delivering good voltage to them (the original wiring has full draw going through the switch), still don't light up the night like the OEM in my Rogue.  Oh well, the Burb won't go fast enough to overrun the headlights anyway!

The height kind of dissipates the light too probably. But I am sure you aimed them down so they light up what they should :P...

Tonight I picked up a Firestick, cable and mount, and got the antenna installed.  I haven't pulled my CB from the other Jeep yet, so I still have that to install.  Not sure where I'm going to mount it, but I might go with the Rugged Ridge dash mount.  

99ED43C1-57DB-422F-B626-FE10241754D6_1.j

25B3066E-4D37-466A-A52F-AAA2FAC394C5.jpg

I also did the locker mod, but just did the one where you can engage in any transfer case setting, but has to be below 10 mph.  I can't see that being a problem, but if it is, I'll just tap the other wire into it.

7CADE532-886B-4D03-922A-73AB19CAA326.jpg

I might grab them.  I have stock JK shocks here that are good for a 2" lift on a TJ.

On another note, my 2 gallon Viair setup just doesn't seem to belong inside a TJ, LOL.  This has me thinking about going the AC compressor route, but I really want to keep the AC, so that would mean getting another compressor, and setting it up.  Or I could just get a compressor like @jay has, as that one seems to work pretty good.

I love mine.  Used it on my car, Deb's car (switichig to winter tires), the BURB, AND they are shown in the CT flyer as being on sale right now!  Sale is 35%, not 50%.  So they are $64.99 I believe.

Derek, if you aren't running 40" tires and airing up you and your buddies tires, and not running air tools in the field, such a portable compressor is much more practical than losing your AC.  IMHO

Yeah, even just for topping up car tires, much quieter and more effective than the $20 ones.

10 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

I had spacers and ran 33"x10.5" tires for a long time 

We're going to drive down to New Minas tomorrow to pick them up.  Unless you still have yours...  poke2.gif  lol.

This is the compressor, right? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-heavy-duty-inflator-with-case-0095032p.html#.VtHHKPIrKUk

1 hour ago, derekmac said:

We're going to drive down to New Minas tomorrow to pick them up.  Unless you still have yours...  poke2.gif  lol.

This is the compressor, right? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-heavy-duty-inflator-with-case-0095032p.html#.VtHHKPIrKUk

They are in my Jeep... The rear ones are cut down too, lol!

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

That's the compressor.  I have no idea what standard they are using for '2 minutes'.  Probably to inflate a large 31" off road tire from 28 psi to 30 psi... lol

It is quick enough. I was airing my 37"s from 20 psi to - 32 psi in 2-3 minutes each.  Airing 10 psi 37s to 32 psi would be a bit longer!  lol

The auto-shutoff is fantastic.

I picked it up, and did some testing.  I found that with the engine running, it was cutting off about 6psi short of what I have it set for.  With the engine off, it was shutting off right on the mark.  Even if it doesn't work perfect, it'll more than do to get me home and use my proper compressor, and good digital inflator/gauge.

I also spent about an hour ponder how/where to mount my 4" LED lights that I was using for AUX reverse lights.  I honestly couldn't come up with something that worked to how I wanted.  Well I did, but didn't like my options for running the wires.  I want everything I install on this to look very neat and tidy, and this wasn't cutting it.  I did mount one though, on top of the drivers side tail light. 

757130B9-84FA-4044-885D-E37D7CB360A6.jpg

81A17325-DCB5-4093-A429-6D8393936240.jpg

I drilled a hole in the side of the light, and used a grommet to keep it sealed up, and looking half decent.

11819D00-CEC4-444A-AF28-F7A818C9BBA4.jpg

Also, I LOVE LOCKERS!!  I went to the Elmsdale business park after leaving Canadian Tire, and played around a little.  Now there's nothing much to play on, just a little gravel turn around section with ditches on the side.  I wanted to try out the 4:1 transfer case, and man is it low!!  So much control just letting it go in 1st and not touching the gas.  I was going down into the ditch, and up the other side a bit, and it felt so much different than driving the WJ!  I think I'll prefer driving a stick off-road.  Where the banks were muddy, I was able to test the lockers.  Once it would stop moving forward, I engaged the rear locker and it would go a bit further.  Started slipping again, engaged the front, and back in business.  I can't wait to put it to a proper test!

Sweet I'm going to give it a try. Derek we were back in Renfrew today and it is muddy on the powerline! The Renfrew Trail itself we only went as far as the rock and turned around there. The puddles didn't look too badly frozen though. I might try to do the whole run tomorrow.

Archived