• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

🤔 how are you going to paint the fenders all the way up on the ceiling? lol

LOL, yeah I meant to pull those down before I masked the Jeep off.  Oh well, I'll do them after I paint the Jeep tomorrow.

2 hours ago, 89runner said:

Thats a lot of work accomplished in a short time frame!

And I'm ******* beat! If the weather had of been nice all week I wouldn't have had to rush as much on the nice days.

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Can you bring it out to a Coffee Night sometime, or tell us where to come see it?

Maybe we'll chip in for some 'Renew' or whatever it's called for your rear bumper plastic end caps. 🙂

I plan on getting out to more coffee nights now that nicer weather is here (or getting closer).  I won't be out this Thursday, but I want to make either the next Burnside or Bedford one.

21 hours ago, derekmac said:

I plan on getting out to more coffee nights now that nicer weather is here (or getting closer). ...... but I want to make either the next Burnside or Bedford one.

I'll buy ya a coffee if I'm there.  And I'll bring the Scout.  We have to have some relief for folks after drooling over your Jeep. lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This weekend I finally changed the leaky drivers side rear axle seal and bearing.  The last two that went in it were Timken (seals and bearings), and they both leaked.  I'm trying Federal Mogul ones (even though the bearing says Timken) a try this time.  I changed the diff oil while I was at it, and it did look like a bit of water might have gotten in, but it wasn't too bad.  I wanted to change the t-case fluid since I've yet to change it, but I ran out of time.

There was no visible wear on the shaft, but it is possible.  It hasn't leaked yet, but it hasn't had any extended driving either.  I have to drive into Halifax tomorrow morning, so I'll know then if it's leaking or not.  Fingers crossed it wont! 

53 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Its possible your axle shaft is bent causing the leaks if no visible wear is present

I wondered that, so I ran it on jack stands, but I didn't see any run out. 

There was no leak on the drive into the city, and it would have been dripping pretty good before. I'll check again after the drive back out, and hopefully it'll be dry. 

So no leaks at all today, but the starter did take a crap. 😠  I think it's been on its way out for some time now though as sometimes it would crank really slow, or it would take a couple of tries with the key for it to turn over.  I'll get that along with the front hubs changed tomorrow, and hope all is good.

Archived