• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

3 minutes ago, Powerram said:

You can reach me at ************ and I'll line up with ya to get those mounts. Reply to this message and I'll take my number off, for some reason I can't pm you. @derekmac

Got it Matt.  I think I'll only need two of them now, probably going to go a different route when I do the front.  I'll try sending you a pm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my plans are to still outboard the rear shocks, and I have a couple of new projects to add to the todo list. 

I ordered a transmission cooler that I'll be using as a power steering cooler.  The pumps are known to overheat when running bigger tires through twisty trails, so I figured this was cheap insurance to help prolong the life of the pump.

I ordered a Viair OBA kit that comes with a 2.5 gallon tank.  My Canadian Tire compressor will only inflate 3 tires now before shutting down, so I needed something new.  I'll keep the CT one installed since it's out of the way in an ammo can under the hood.

I did a caliper swap on the rear in preparation for the shock outboard.  I had to switch swap backing plates to mount the calipers in a forward position so the shocks would have clearance and not contact the calipers in the factory location.

IMG_0882.JPG

On 12/29/2018 at 10:00 AM, sar4x4 said:

Sounds like time to work on the rig.  I was in the garage for a few hours last night.  Some TLC on the Scout.  More TLC to follow!

I had plans to get lots done while off, but it hasn't really happened, lol.  I did get the PS cooler installed today, but I need to pick up some fluid for it.  I also plated in the rear lower control arm mounts as that's where the lower shock mount will be located with the outboard.

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0895.thumb.JPG.e29e031e123229b9d9e665c28813b29d.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

Since my Canadian Tire compressor has been slowly dying, and will only air up two or three tires before shutting down, I decided it was time to replace it.  Searching on Amazon, I found a great deal on a Viair OBA system, so I pulled the trigger and it should be here tomorrow. 🙂

Viair.jpg

15 hours ago, derekmac said:

Since my Canadian Tire compressor has been slowly dying, and will only air up two or three tires before shutting down, I decided it was time to replace it.  Searching on Amazon, I found a great deal on a Viair OBA system, so I pulled the trigger and it should be here tomorrow. 🙂

Viair.jpg

That looks like the same system I have from Viair. I really like it. It was super reliable when I had it in the trucks. It's currently sitting on a shelf in my garage ... and when I pulled it out of the last truck I actually broke a couple of the fittings off in the tank. I'll need to drill + tap, but that's my own fault.

IIRC I have a 100% duty cycle compressor. It would take some time to air up the 38's, but it never failed.

Well, Canada Post didn't process it until 3:15 today, so it didn't make it.

This one isn't 100% duty cycle, but it does come with a better compressor than the last Viair OBA system I had (which I sold because I couldn't fit it in the TJ, and this one is even bigger, lol), and that one would easily air up 3-4 rigs without shutting down.  This one should do the trick for me, plus I'll be leaving the CT one installed since it's tucked away under the hood in an ammo can.

This is it, and I managed to get it from the Warehouse Deals section for $228 🙂Viair Medium Duty Onboard Air System

I hope to get some time on the Scout this weekend and a bit of hiking for SAR in the woods.  And get the Burb and Dodge properly parked before the snow comes and stays for a while.

Tonight at coffee we discussed trails for M.U.D. 2019, and a 4WD Rally, likely a TSD (time, speed and distance) and/or navigational theme.  And lots of other stuff.  I suppose I could post this in a thread of it's own!  Eh, it's my bed time.

I got it all installed yesterday.  First let me say, the plastic airline that Viair sends to use for the pressure gauge is the worst stuff I've ever tried to work with!!  Super stiff, and kinks easily.  15min in the oven at 170 did the trick though and made it easy to work with.  Since I installed it inside in the back, I put my Instatrunk back in so I'd have a shelf to put stuff on.  I was going to mount the tank underneath tucked up by the frame (which is a common place), but I really wanted to keep everything inside.

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

• 1 month later...

To help fix the rubbing issues I've had in the front with the 35's, I bought a new set of rims (that also match my spare).  They're nothing special, but the backspacing on them is 3.75" compared to the 4.5" on my current rims.

I'm not a fan of black rims though, so I painted them.  I had a few different colors in mind, but when I saw a pic of them in desert tan, then saw the below Jeep, I decided to go with that color.

Before:

MVIMG_20190308_194805.thumb.jpg.4746c526d40ed3ace06cea960a83f083.jpg

After:

IMG_20190309_115300.thumb.jpg.07f46db5b9235277d0f16a4d26226209.jpg

How I plan on painting the Jeep:

2bdcc4a9cd86d5d44b6e0c28ca091bed-3.jpg.54eebe856574983148e8874c41dbb45c.jpg

Finished the spare up last night. That rim was in much worse shape than I had thought. Cleaned up the rust on it as best I could (ok, maybe not best), but it doesn't look the greatest. Oh well, they'll all get beat up on the trails anyway. Hopefully next weekend I'll get the rest switched over. 

IMG_20190314_173831.thumb.jpg.c07bd4de5fe39d6fad1ea56a9a01cd0a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 8:48 AM, 89runner said:

Digging the color!

Thanks man, I can't wait to get it painted. I'm starting to get little things done now to get it ready, like removing the decals. 

IMG_20190324_144451-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.f657f2c8aa94c52d138a458e6beaa135.jpg

IMG_20190322_194729-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.5a207800405ca82e6841c080e1596290.jpg

I also got the new rims mounted last night, and I'm quite happy with how they look. 

IMG_20190326_071250-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.7f543343f2d1ea0e5ee7a2f4de497cd8.jpg

IMG_20190326_071303-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.9918d36412f4249151be9a4112593f31.jpg

10 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I think I recognize where you're parked for the pic.

Jeep is gonna look awesome!

And I can reprint the M.U.D. decals if you need them freshened up!

Your brother might have worked out of this hangar at one time. 

Thanks! I really want to start, but it's still too damn cold out. 

Oh really? I might just have to take you up on that! I don't think I'll be putting any decals on the outside of the Jeep, but I've been putting them on the inside of the tailgate. 

Archived