• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

I bought a nice mesh top for a JK (Rugged Ridge 13579.11 Black Mesh Island Top) a few months ago for super cheap (thanks Amazon!), with plans on making it fit my TJ.  I started on it today, and am just about done.  This had quite a few straps that had to be cut off, and I had to take a few inches off of each side since the JK is so much wider than a TJ.  It ended up being more time consuming than I thought it would be, but I think it'll look and work good once I'm done, and get it on.  I just have to finish putting grommets in one side, and buy some ball bungees to strap it to the roll bars.

20170520_142734.jpg

20170520_142744.jpg

20170520_171819.jpg

20170520_171826.jpg

20170520_171836.jpg

20170520_174459.jpg

20170520_185020.jpg

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have my TJ very close to what I had pictured for it, but there are still a few things I'd like to get done.

• ZJ tie rod upgrade
  • 1-1.5" body lift
  • Motor mount lift (already have)
  • Replace crackling speakers
  • The reason for the MML and BL, a tummy tuck.

I don't plan on doing the ZJ tie rod upgrade until mine needs replacing.  The BL kind of scares me, as rust belt rigs tend to be known for the body mount bolts breaking off, though I haven't had any issues with bolts breaking yet (knocks on wood).  The stock sub and speakers are all on their last legs, so I really wouldn't mind getting those replaced ASAP.  I like my tunes, but can't crank it up since it sounds awful, lol.

The tummy tuck will be later down the road.  I'll need adjustable rear control arms, and a double cardan rear driveshaft. It's low on the priority list, but is definitely on the want list!!

There are some things I need to get done now though.  I have a rear caliper that's sticking, so I ordered two new ones ($46 off for a pair from Amazon).  Both hubs on the front are starting to go, but they're not bad yet, just a little bit of play in them.  I'll replace those when they start getting worse.  A u-joint on the front driveshaft also has a tiny bit of play in it.

I had to cut my floor to get the body mount bolts out.  But with no carpet, no big dig deal, just weld 'er back up!

I didn't in put a lift, but the original rubber mounts had disintegrated!  And the body would shift and squeak and groan.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the front driveshaft to replace a u-joint (axle side), and now the Jeep is driving vibration free without the shaft in.  I'm going to stop at Napa tomorrow and grab a new one.  The one I'm replacing is the original one with over 170,000 on it, so I think it did its job. :)  The other two joints seem good, and so does the centering ball.  Fingers crossed there won't be any vibs when I put it back in!!

The bad u-joint in my front driveshaft has been replaced, and the shaft is back in the Jeep. The bad vibs are gone too, woohoo!!

I also realized that I NEED a 1/4" air ratchet! I borrowed a Snap On one from work, and it made putting the 8 bolts holding the driveshaft back in sooo much easier! The entire tool fits in the palm of my hand, making it easy to get into tight spots.

Now, I don't have $300 to get a Snap On one, but I'll be keeping my eyes open for a half decent cheaper one. :)

After many months of procrastinating, I finally mounted my full size (33x12.5x15) spare.  I honestly didn't think it would fit, but it does. It's a tight squeeze on the bumper, but that just means that the bumper will be supporting the weight instead of all the weight being supported by the door.

20170612_201053.jpg

20170612_201141.jpg

20170612_201101.jpg

20170612_201112.jpg

20170612_201132.jpg

20170612_201126.jpg

So, the brakes on the TJ were never amazing, and after putting the 33's on it, they are even less amazing, lol.  They're just cheaper pads on it now, and I assume cheaper rotors too.  With four of us in it, the braking performance is a little unnerving. 

My plan to fix this isn't exactly cheap, but it's considered the best brake upgrade you can do before going to a big brake upgrade.  I'm going to install EBC Yellowstuff pads, and Centric rotors.  The cheapest I can find the pads online is Amazon, and the rotors through RockAuto.  It's going to cost me around $500, which is very hard to swallow!!  I'll feel much safer knowing I'll be able to stop quickly if I need to though, and if my wife takes the Jeep, I'll definitely feel better!

Engine size doesn't matter.  Braking does.  If you or your wife gets in an accident and you thought the brakes were compromised, you'll not forgive yourself.  Fancy mesh top, fancy fenders, are all good, but brakes are paramount! 

Says the guy that just fixed his brake light.......

I've always been satisfied with stock or cheaper brake parts on every other vehicle I've owned, but not the TJ. 

I was going to go mid range parts, but said the hell with it. I'm no longer going to cheap out on parts that really do matter. 

I've never heard of anyone's experience upgrading like that, I look forward to it.

I'll be doing the Scout brakes sometime 'soonish', they need a freshening-up.  I don't think I'll upgrade but I will use good quality at the least.

From the reviews I've read, guys have been very happy!  Some have also said that they almost grip too much, and you need to get used to them as it's easy to lock the tires up.  I'll definitely post my thoughts during and after break in.

Tonight I picked up a Jeep Add-a-Trunk.  I wanted to be able to secure stuff a little better with the soft top on.  This bolts to the tub, and you can't open the top with the back door closed.  I didn't clean it before I took these pics...

20170620_205232.jpg

20170620_205159.jpg

20170620_205146.jpg

I didn't feel like working at work today, so I decided instead to make some speaker adapter plates so I can remove the blown 4x6's, and replace them with new 5.25" ones. I won't cut the centers out until I get the new speak. 

20170622_123311.jpg

20170622_102723.jpg

I went to do the front brakes today, and got partially done. The front passenger caliper is sticking, and the piston has a crack in it. I ordered two new calipers for the front. 

I welded up the indents in the brackets where the pads sit too, and now they're nice and smooth. 

20170624_155622.jpg

20170624_125436.jpg

20170624_155601.jpg

Archived