• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

March 19th Club Run Vote

SQRLPWR

March 19th Club Run Trail Vote  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which trail do you want to run in March?

• Big Jones (Ellershouse) - Rated 3.5
    • Bump & Grind (Halifax) - Rated 3.5
    • Clear Cut (Greenwood) - Rated 3.0
    • Deep Mountain Lake (Panuke Lake Area) - Rated 1.0
    • Deep Mountain Lake to Five Mile Lake (Panuke Lake Area) - Rated 0.0 to 3.0
    • Ellershouse - Rated 3.5
    • Five Mile Lake to Ellershouse - Rated 0.0 to 3.0
    • Half Moon (Greenwood) - Rated 3.0
    • Hilden (Only with Rob's approval) - Rated 3.5
    • International (Greenwood) - Rated 3.0
    • Muddy Myra North (Pipeline) - Rated 2.5
    • Muddy Myra South (Porters Lake) - Rated 2.5
    • New Minas Powerlines to Grey Mountain (New Minas) - Rated 2.0
    • Paws Fur Thought (Renfrew) - Rated 2.0 to 3.0
    • Renfrew Loop - Rated 3.5
    • Renfrew Paddock - Rated 3.0
    • Rocky Myra North (Pipeline) - Rated 3.0
    • TJ's (Middle Sackville) - Rated 3.0
    • The Pipeline - Rated 2.0

13 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

Is your friend that says it's not a "real" rig going to bring HIS out?

Ha! Probably not - talks the talk, but can't walk the walk! Guaranteed no show on his end.

12 hours ago, dereku said:

I admit I liked the idea of the Trailhawk, but at the same time thought that it was not a real Jeep.

You know, initially when they reintroduced the Cherokee, I was not a fan. I felt the same - not a real Jeep. It took me a while to warm up to it, but gradually it started to grow on me. When I took it out for a spin, I was impressed and pleased with the performance that I experienced. I'm quite pleased with it now - I have had it on some trails in Cape Breton and I felt it did great. I'm looking forward to getting it out on some trails with the club.

Now about a Trailhawk on Big Jones.  It will probably make it through.  If it rains a lot beforehand, I don't know how high the air intake is on a TH.

Having said all of that, and driven the Big Cajones twice, and rode along with someone else once, I wouldn't take a new TH in there because I would expect a scratch or two at minimum, and who knows at maximum.

And having said that, I've never seen any real damage to a vehicle in there.  A scratched wheel rim, plastic valences/trim torn off with slightly oversized tires, might bang a skid plate.

But for the new folks, definitely note the above 'off-camber section' wording.  I've never seen a vehicle flop on it's side there, but it is definitely possible!  IMHO

Hard to say. Some of it is rig and some also driver skill and experience. Get the right line and you can be OK...and a spotter can help too.

When I took the new-to-me X to bump & grind, it was my 1st ever time out off road. I got stuck for a little while on a rock, and it took us ages to get me past it. If I were to do the same now in the same rig, I probably wouldn't notice that rock at all, because now my lines are better and I'm not afraid to bump it if needed :)

Really it's your call, all we can do is tell u how it is, and help you along the way if you decide to go. ;)

I would go, I think you'd be fine.

13 minutes ago, Crossley said:

I might be able to make it, not sure yet. Would I have any problems in my rig? No lift yet, running 31s and I do have skid-plates.

Nope you'll be fine. I ran it lifted 3" on 31's  with no issues. And Toyotas have more clearance stock I find

12 hours ago, e36m3 said:

Big Jones is super fun. The washout part especially.

I agree 100%.  Not many trails with such a good combination of variety!  And even more variety when there is snow on the ground! 

The washout is a 'must do' at least once for trails around here.  IMHO  I was quite apprehensive about doing it the first, and even still a bit, the second time!  But actually my rig is probably more stable than most on the washout because I can almost straddle it!

Archived