• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

I'm looking at a TJ Rubi

derekmac

Unless they find something major when they go to do the safety, then it should be coming home with me Monday.  I look forward to being able to take the top off the most.  I honestly don't know if I'll like wheeling it more than the WJ or not.  I know it will be pretty capable stock, but I'll miss the sound of the V8, and the oh so comfy leather seats!!  I'm going to keep the cloth seats that I pulled out of it, as they were also very comfy, and if I don't like the TJ seats, I can swap those in fairly easily.

I do plan on a very minor build with this.  2" lift, maybe a 1" body lift as well, and 32's or 33's eventually.  I want to wheel it stock, and get used to it first before I change anything on it.  I also want to attack the rust on it.  I'll probably just do a quick repair job on the fenders for now, and eventually get aftermarket ones. I'll probably just try and find a good solid windshield frame instead of repairing this one.  We'll see though.

2 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

You will want to mod the lockers to engage in 4hi too... If it is still stock, chances are that is not modded and they will only lock in 4-low...

Yep, that's the first thing I'm going to do to it. Might add two switches for independent locker control too, but will probably just add one, or might even just mod the factory wiring at the switch. 

3 hours ago, derekmac said:

Yep, that's the first thing I'm going to do to it. Might add two switches for independent locker control too, but will probably just add one, or might even just mod the factory wiring at the switch. 

Each locker should be able to be engaged on it's own. They both have their own compressor.

On 14/02/2016 at 8:46 PM, derekmac said:

I asked about the temp on a couple of other sites, and here are a couple of their responses:

"100°C is 212°F, so normal operating temp should be right at or slightly to the left of the 100 mark. Your pic shows what looks to be about 105°C which works out to 221°F, a bit on the warm side but not terrible if you were flogging the hell out of it on a hot day or towing a heavy load -- which I'm guessing it's safe to say neither of which are applicable in this case. I'd echo the opinion the cooling system is in need of work."

"It is running a little hot, should run 98º centigrade +/- a degree or so. The outside temperature there is hovering around zero, l would make sure that the water pump was not replaced, because they ran it out of coolant with the result being a cracked head or?. The coolant you smell could be a leaking heater core, but could also be the result of combustion gases helping to raise the pressure in the cooling system and causing the radiator cap to release fluid into the overflow tank, thus the apparent overfilled reservoir."

Don't trust the factory gauages to be dead on for temp readings. my 4.0 ran about the same on the gauge, never bothered me any, didn't hear any spark rattle, ( first sign of 4.0 running hot) so I just let it be. It had 435,000 kms on it.

On 15/02/2016 at 4:36 PM, derekmac said:

I also don't know if I'd trust a vehicle that I don't really know on a cross Canada drive, lol. 

I did in Nov, got the guy to bring it to the airport, sight unseen, threw my luggage into it , paid him, then loaded it up with the family and pulling the car behind drove home from Calgary. It was an eventful trip.

That looks like a solid Jeep, should be good for you. Hope u get it on Monday!!

As James says, you want to be able to activate the lockers independently.   Don't lock your front unless you have/want to, like going straight in mud.  Having a locked front is hard on front axle parts like front axle U-Joints / yokes under full torque, such as wheels turned hard left/right, low-range (4.0:1!) and in high traction situations like against rocks, etc.  Also when the front axle is locked, especially in conjunction with the rear, the vehicle will REALLY REALLY want to go straight, no matter how much the wheels turned left/right.

Judicious use of the GO! pedal is best left for BUILT Dana 60s, or straight on / balls deep mud!

With the factory locker switch, when you press it, it engages the rear locker. Press again, it engages the front also. Another press turns the front off, but keeps the rear on.  Pulling up on the switch turns them both off. 

Some guys install two switches, so they can engage the front by itself. I don't think I'll be in any type of situation that I'd only want the front locker engaged, so I'll probably just bypass the 4 low safety in it. I'll be able to lock the rear in 2wd for better donuts. Lol

So I bought it! :)  The temp gauge is now where it should be since she had it into APJ's today.  I hooked up my phone, and my bluetooth OBD adapter, and it's running consistently at 97 degrees. :)  The coolant smell is gone now too.

Archived