• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Welding tips and tricks.

82Yota

This guy knows his stuff, subscribe to his channel and you'll learn a few things. I've been watching a lot of his tig videos and can identify what I was doing wrong. He has a lot more vids so check em out!

Did you weld in place or on a table? Being comfortable is key, Do a "dry run" before you actually strike an arc and see if you are comfy and how much you'll be able to get done. I aim for at least 6" of weld at a time.

Also dont start or stop in corners, go about an inch or 2 away from corners. makes things easier if you need to tear it apart or grind out tacks to cover them up

On 2/12/2016 at 11:53 AM, 82Yota said:

Ive never seen yours personally, I am mainly talking about some of the **** that I see on pirate and another local site. I call it weld gore.

And people wonder why our MVI laws are so strict

There are guys that burn stuff together and then there are true fabricators that care how visually good their weld looks, as well as it's intended strength...

I am still at the burning **** together stage, with aspirations... ;) 

...besides, its hard to be pretty with flux core... :P

2 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

There are guys that burn stuff together and then there are true fabricators that care how visually good their weld looks, as well as it's intended strength...

I am still at the burning **** together stage, with aspirations... ;) 

...besides, its hard to be pretty with flux core... :P

The problem is that a lot don't treat it like the skilled trade that it is.

1 hour ago, 97 cherokee said:

It's not impossible with flux core ! It still lays good beads just the splatter looks like garbage 

Fluxcore on one of the little 110 machines vs fluxcore on a big 240 or 3 phase machine is a serious difference. With the right gas (something like argoshield or c25) there is virtually no spatter at all. Its when you get into the higher co2 it makes the puddle a bit more fluid ad the wire has a tendency to stab the puddle causing it to splash sort of. Its an easy fix, just adjust your voltage or your wire speed aka amps

Yeah real fluxcore uses gas. Alot of big fabrication uses it and sometimes the wire comes spooled in 50 gallon drums but most shops get it on the 50lb spools. 

I wouldnt bother getting fluxcore wire that requires gas, for most 4x4 applications mig will do just fine. 

If you clamp a small piece of scotch brite pad over your wire before it hits the drive rollers it should keep your wire clean of rust/oil/dust before it makes it to the arc and keeps your hose liner clean.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/15/2016 at 1:28 AM, 82Yota said:

The problem is that a lot don't treat it like the skilled trade that it is.

Fluxcore on one of the little 110 machines vs fluxcore on a big 240 or 3 phase machine is a serious difference. With the right gas (something like argoshield or c25) there is virtually no spatter at all. Its when you get into the higher co2 it makes the puddle a bit more fluid ad the wire has a tendency to stab the puddle causing it to splash sort of. Its an easy fix, just adjust your voltage or your wire speed aka amps

I've heard of flux core with gas but I think for the most part it is limited to very specific applications, not to say you can't do it anytime you like but most people don't.

Flux core is great for welding outdoors where wind would blow away your shielding gas but other than that MIG is the way to go, far less clean up.

• 6 months later...

Good video I am a fabricator and love to weld I think the best advice I can give is the more comfortable the position you are in the better the weld not only that but the old saying for mig is clean and close the material needs to be clean and your ground should be close to the work. Stick you can get away with the metal being a little dirty but even a bit of paint will make for a bad weld.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this since I've started on my GMAW journey 🙂

So I now have a 220v welder with 75/25 gas and have started to practice on it. Seems the technique flux core vs gas is different.

At my first attempts my welds were hard to see during the weld, with lots of splatter and smoke resulting in porous welds. I think it was due to my stick out being way too long resulting in no gas coverage.

Then I seemed to hit the sweet spot, and the weld just lit up, like an ah-ah moment. To get the good welds I had to get my stick out super tight to the work piece - is that normal ?

Clearly I'm going to need a TON more practice 🙂

20200605_085355.jpg

20200605_085412.jpg

23 hours ago, ovrlndr said:

Reviving this since I've started on my GMAW journey 🙂

So I now have a 220v welder with 75/25 gas and have started to practice on it. Seems the technique flux core vs gas is different.

At my first attempts my welds were hard to see during the weld, with lots of splatter and smoke resulting in porous welds. I think it was due to my stick out being way too long resulting in no gas coverage.

Then I seemed to hit the sweet spot, and the weld just lit up, like an ah-ah moment. To get the good welds I had to get my stick out super tight to the work piece - is that normal ?

Yes, have to be close for gas to be present and no wind. Also going from flux core to gas you need to swap the polarity of your machine

5 hours ago, Powerram said:

Yes, have to be close for gas to be present and no wind. Also going from flux core to gas you need to swap the polarity of your machine

Thanks Matt, I think I fianlly got it figured out last night. I dont think i had my wand fully inserted into the machine so most of the gas was leaking past the seals.

Now that's fixed, I dont have to be almost touching the work piece to get coverage. 

Polarity was good btw 😉

Welding with gas vs flux is night and day. My technique needs some practice,  but I'm super stoked with my little setup  🙂

I feel some sliders coming lol

20200606_125339.jpg

Archived