• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

"Clunky Junky" - Jawritch's 98 XJ

Jawritch

Finally I pulled all the axle shafts from my parts Jeep to keep as spares. I know with the 35's they will break eventually. So while I was doing that I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the parts Jeep had a rear trac lok. I doubt it still works but it may be worth rebuilding and installing into my Jeep!IMG_20160426_151051.jpgIMG_20160426_150044.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 1:32 PM, Jawritch said:

@Eastcoastcam I finally checked for a track bar, I have an adjustable one. Bushing looks okay but it's missing the boot on the ball socket. Feels a little loose but is greasable and may just need some. Yours if you want it.IMG_20160505_124412.jpgIMG_20160505_124358.jpgIMG_20160505_124250.jpg

Where abouts in Beaverbank are you? I would like to stop up and check it out... I am just at the end of Mayflower Ave...

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Jawritch said:

Haha I thought of you right after I got the fire out. I'm glad I don't have a carpet or it would have been a whole lot worse

I saw an ad for a completely burnt Ford explorer not long ago that was having some welding done for repairs. I assume the carpet is what took the exploder.

Looks like easy fix for ya. That's good there was not too much damage 

I lit my challenger on fire one night, faulty wiring behind dash, that's a fun story but the car was OK. I think we all have a brush with fire with our rigs or projects at some point. 

2 hours ago, Jawritch said:

It wasn't a real tough fix nope. Had to recover a few wires and replace the seatbelt with the one in the parts Jeep. I'm not bothering to replace the plastics

Plastics are overrated, I plled the rubber mat, sill plates and kick panels out of my Ford a while ago. It makes it super easy to clean with a pressure washer or garden hose

IMG_20150912_181553274.jpg

I have no carpets in the Burb.  But I've never been able to wash it out with a pressure washer.  Because the high pressure water just bounces and sprays EVERYWHERE all over the seats and doors and dash, lol. Making a worse mess.   I just sweep it out, and use low pressure garden hose if necessary!

Caught the Burb on fire once.  Like everyone is saying, join the club sooner or later.

Secondary battery fell off the tray, shorted against the radiator.  The radiator is mounted by rubber.  But the hydraulic hoses for the transmission fluid cooler have metal in them. Current ran down them to the trans then through the motor etc back to the battery.

The whole length of the hoses were on fire..........  Glad I had a fire extinguisher on board and a chap that was quicker thinking than me!

• 2 weeks later...

Built a fairly simple (and pretty ugly in my opinion) rear bumper yesterday. Made from some leftover 2x6 from my still incomplete rockers. Waiting on gas for the welder to finish those. It's probably going to get narrowed a few inches when I make some rear quarter panel armour and maybe get some angles on the ends.IMG_20160611_084938.jpg

Archived