• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

"Clunky Junky" - Jawritch's 98 XJ

Jawritch

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I modified the drivers door to be removable like the wranglers. Just unplug the harness and lift it off. Going to finish the passenger side today.IMG_20160625_202423.jpg

I guess in this pic you can also see my rock sliders/ beefy rocker panels are also in place. They aren't quite finished but functional for now.

After putting the doors back on? They're better than ever. The doors were sagging pretty bad before I did this. Which is why I drilled the holes out to accept 3/8" bolts. Took out all the play and now they work great 

On 03/06/2016 at 3:52 AM, Jawritch said:

1 hour ago, Eastcoastcam said:

Yup, and he had rocker rails on his too...

Gotta love that unibody construction, but maybe a set of tube doors or half doors would give it back the rigidity while in motion or on the trail

19 hours ago, TomWood said:

Watch out after your first wheeling trip ;) we had a guy do that to his XJ and after the first rip the doors no longer lined up as the body twisted.

I've heard of this happening , done tons of reading online. (I know don't believe everything you see on the internet haha) but most people say the doors don't add any structure. Which is why you can still open and close your doors when all flexed up but not your trunk. Sorta makes sense I guess. The beefy rockers and bumpers should help some, but the patch job floors also don't help. I'm also in the middle of making both tube doors and half doors, because I don't want the body to warp too bad haha.

Two words... frame stiffeners...

Or a full cage... Darren Pineo made a cage in the old Cherokee Chief, and never had a problem with the doors or tailgate again... he used to have to strap it shut because when the Jeep would get all twisted up it would pop open. After the cage, it never popped open again. He had it for sale a long time ago, so it is probably long gone, seeing how the old Chief was parted out in 2012 or 13...

• 3 weeks later...

Installed new shocks on the front end yesterday. They're for 6-8" of lift and I'm running about 4ish. So it's got gobs of down travel and a few inches up. Though with the big tires I don't have much room for up travel anyway.IMG_20160719_121343.jpg

IMG_20160719_121357.jpg

Looks like it's it's gonna need long arms. Haha

Cut out the first half door today. I think I'm going to cut it a bit lower and maybe less angle under the mirror. It wasn't on the Jeep when I cut it.IMG_20160726_194354.jpg

I'm also going to do something different for the door handle. That's only temporary 

• 4 months later...

Started tearing down the original 4.0l the other day. Found tons of water inside, though it's also been sitting outside. Got it mostly apart but had to get my 13mm deep 12pt socket from work for the head bolts. Was able to get a lot of them with a wrench and a hammer but half are sunk into the head under the valve cover. Back to the garage Friday I believe to finish tear down. Depending on block condition itll be built as a 4.6 stroker. Which should wake the old girl up!

3 hours ago, Jawritch said:

Started tearing down the original 4.0l the other day. Found tons of water inside, though it's also been sitting outside. Got it mostly apart but had to get my 13mm deep 12pt socket from work for the head bolts. Was able to get a lot of them with a wrench and a hammer but half are sunk into the head under the valve cover. Back to the garage Friday I believe to finish tear down. Depending on block condition itll be built as a 4.6 stroker. Which should wake the old girl up!

Yep, we did a 4.5 stroker, never bored it out, the block was still OK. Used the 4.2 crank in the 4.0 block. The stud girdle(windage tray thing) from the 4.0 wouldn't clear the 4.2 crank on reassembly, I think that was the only fitment issue, didn't do any ecm tuning, ran great after and had better low and mid range. 

Made some more progress on the 4.0 teardown. I'm left with a bare block and all the components. The head still needs to be torn down but I need to pick up a valve spring compressor. The main thing is that the block doesn't appear too far gone. So with a little machine work I can begin the build up. Found the piston and connecting rod on cylinder 1 to be completely destroyed. So I need to try and track down some rods as well. 

IMG_20161209_182134.jpgIMG_20161209_182107.jpgIMG_20161209_182103.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived