• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Thinking about getting a TJ.

derekmac

Every couple of years, the urge comes and goes to get a TJ.  Well it's back, lol.  Now I do really enjoy my Grand.  It's very comfortable, good power, and does what I want of it off-road.  The reason I want one is that I've always wanted something that I could take the top and doors off of.

The reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because of the amount of time and money I've put into the WJ.  I know it inside and out, and also have a Jeeps worth of spare parts.  It's hard to part with something that you've been building up over the years.  It also sucks knowing that what I could get for it would only be a third (or less) of what I'd need to get the TJ I want.  

I want to get a Rubicon, and would prefer an 05 or 06, with lower mileage.  I also want something stock, and not abused.  I'd like to build it myself, and get it how I want it.  I'm thinking 2" lift, and 32's, nothing crazy at all.

So, no real point to this thread, just seeing if typing out what I'm thinking will help, lol.

The few times I've been out in a Jeep with no top or doors (minus last years topless run!!) was awesome!  And no, kijiji definitely does not help!! LOL.  The good thing is I know exactly what I want, and won't get something else just for the sake of getting something.

14 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

Cant you just make some tube doors? 

I have four extra doors that I had planned on making into half doors, but I still want the removable top.  I've also wanted a Wrangler for as long as I could remember.  The only reason I have the Grand is I wanted something I could take off-road, and still pull our camper.  The camper was sold last year...

Well if the site would let me upload photos.. Id show you..  Fixed it.

Yes no doors will twist your body, we had to cut our doors down so they would close in our XJ from running doorless... Tube doors may help that some, but it could still bend as its not ment to have that strain.

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0366.JPG

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 0:25 PM, Eastcoastcam said:

Nicely made half doors though, look sharp though on them all...

Just the like the original doors on the Scout SSII!  I'd like a set of half doors for the front at least on the Burb.........  I don't have any spare doors at the moment but they should still be relatively plentiful...........

Archived