• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Good tow truck company

e36m3

Anyone know which towing companies have good rates? I'll most likely get my truck towed from Sackville to east Chezzetzcook. I replaced my idler pulleys but my tensioner bent and the threads let go on it. So I don't feel like removing the alternator and especially the ac compressor when there is absolutely no room to do it

Now I haven't used this guy in a while, and he's not a "real" towing company, he mostly just hauled scrap cars but would tow vehicles fro point A to B. Scott @ 902-229-0171

He has a big diesel burb and a flatdeck.

Ok thanks guys. I decided to fix it instead. What a fun night that was... 

For guys with a 4.0 yotas, replacing the serpentine belt tensioner is fairly easy once you've done it, just no room at all. 

Just remove the battery and tray, then alternator and wires, unbolt AC hardlines from bottom of truck and unbolt AC compressor, unbolt tensioner and then reinstall in reverse steps. Took us 3 hours with rusty bolts and taking our time .

34 minutes ago, e36m3 said:

Ok thanks guys. I decided to fix it instead. What a fun night that was... 

For guys with a 4.0 yotas, replacing the serpentine belt tensioner is fairly easy once you've done it, just no room at all. 

Just remove the battery and tray, then alternator and wires, unbolt AC hardlines from bottom of truck and unbolt AC compressor, unbolt tensioner and then reinstall in reverse steps. Took us 3 hours with rusty bolts and taking our time .

Wow, and not the warmest day of the year either!  Good job!

• 3 weeks later...
On January 6, 2016 at 0:24 PM, joeylowthers450R said:

save your old pulleys to replace bearings, its way cheaper to replace the bearings in the pulleys then the actual pulley itself. my pulleys list for 40 bucks give or take, but the bearings are only 3.99.

note pulleys may start to show wear on the face after a few bearings 

Been there tried that the bastards make the inner bearing race to fit the bolt which makes it pretty much impossible to get aftermarket. 

16 hours ago, Robbie said:

Been there tried that the bastards make the inner bearing race to fit the bolt which makes it pretty much impossible to get aftermarket. 

aftermarket world prob is impossible to find. most bearing places can get you almost any bearing, from cheapies right to ceramic. i use bdi canada inc, but there are other options 

Any bearing that has a number should be available on the aftermarket. Most manufacturers wouldnt take the time to setup a factory just for bearings so they go with a semi-common bearing. I bet if you do some minor research you'd find a substitute from skf or koyo

Don't get me wrong, they do get a lot of stuff made to a certain spec but something like a idler pulley bearing isnt anywhere near as important at a crank bearing or wrist pin bearing for example 

On January 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM, 82Yota said:

Any bearing that has a number should be available on the aftermarket. Most manufacturers wouldnt take the time to setup a factory just for bearings so they go with a semi-common bearing. I bet if you do some minor research you'd find a substitute from skf or koyo

Don't get me wrong, they do get a lot of stuff made to a certain spec but something like a idler pulley bearing isnt anywhere near as important at a crank bearing or wrist pin bearing for example 

Yeah I tried three different bearing shops in burnside and they couldn't get me one of these. 

Archived