• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Help me pick some new tires for JK!

Buckshot12

Well if anyone knows my rig my tires may be just a little bit bald .. Figured I be nice this year and get her something  for a Christmas! Currently running some KM2 LT285/70R17. Looking to move up to the 35in tires though. The Km2's were nice but I found them not that great in the snow :/ . I dont care about road noise at all (music to my ears)

I've had them about 5 years now , mine are the MTZ not the P3 and are 35-12.50- 15" so were a bit less to buy . If I remember I paid about  $325 to $350 each . They are wearing well but its not a DD and Its been in the shop for about the last year and a half now . They have spent a lot of time with only 5 to 10 psi as well .

Kelly Safari TSR, Love the ones on mine, work great off road and not that noisy on pavement. I have over 20,000km of wear on them and they were half worn when I bought the Jeep. I suggest these for anyone looking for a daily driver tire that wants off road capable.

I run toyos open country m/t 285/75/17

Really loud, heavy and not great on ice. But in the snow, mud, rocks they get the job done. They re also a lot more expensive than a Goodyear.mtr kevlar . I regret not going straight to 35s swamper, bloggers or something like iroks instead

Thanks for the input everyone! I would love to get some Iroks or some big *** swampers but the Jeep is still my daily driver for the next two years. I drive about 80km a day. So I think i need a tire that will last me a bit until I can buy another vehicle.

Upon review Kelly Safari TSR seems like they last the longest of them all. Some people say they have got 70000km out of them.  But the Mud claw I really like the look of them and they do have some good reviews. Not sure the price on the Mud Claw but the MTZP3 just seem to be a little too much on my budget atm. I will be calling a few places tomorrow and doing some price matching. Looking to spend no more than $380 a tire..but that may have to change. 

Will keep posted on what I decide in the next 2 days. 

On 12/15/2015 at 8:14 AM, autumnwalker said:

Give DSL tire a call in Burnside and check out the Mud Claw - a few of us have run them on rigs before. They make quite a bit of noise, but are excellent off road and come in a 35".

Huge endorsement for the Mud Claw. 1200$ a set installed for 285/70/17s, and they work great in the snow. Ran them all through the **** show of our last winter. Just do rotate them as they will scallop all to hell if you don't. Or be like me, let them scallop and give 0 fucks about it. Makes them louder on the road and I like loud things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2015 at 10:29 PM, e36m3 said:

I run toyos open country m/t 285/75/17

Really loud, heavy and not great on ice. But in the snow, mud, rocks they get the job done. They re also a lot more expensive than a Goodyear.mtr kevlar . I regret not going straight to 35s swamper, bloggers or something like iroks instead

Super Swampers wear extremely fast. I don't let my irocks touch the pavement

On 15/12/2015 at 8:29 PM, Buckshot12 said:

Well if anyone knows my rig my tires may be just a little bit bald .. Figured I be nice this year and get her something  for a Christmas! Currently running some KM2 LT285/70R17. Looking to move up to the 35in tires though. The Km2's were nice but I found them not that great in the snow :/ . I dont care about road noise at all (music to my ears)

So did you get new tires yet? I had toyo MT on my diesel truck,  they wore like iron in a 10 ply flavor . they were 285/75/16. Half wore when I got them and I put another 65000 on them, but I ran them till there was no more running left in them, not even for a spare.

1 hour ago, dereku said:

I have the Goodyear Duratrac that I bought from Canadian Tire. I am really impressed with it in all condition so far. 315 70 17

Their only drawback is their weak sidewalls... Be careful when aired down. Did you buy the replacement warranty for them?

Sorry for late reply but I ended up getting a set of Cooper stt pro tires 315/70/17. I used a tire contact you guys had posted on another forum topic (The Tire Man). Was looking at the mud claw tires in burnside.. but they told me they couldn't get any tires for me until earliest of May. So i ended up going with the Cooper stt pro's :). They arrived today now looking for the cheapest spot to get them mounted and an alignment done. 

On 1/3/2016 at 7:09 PM, Eastcoastcam said:

Their only drawback is their weak sidewalls... Be careful when aired down. Did you buy the replacement warranty for them?

I have an add on warranty package from the dealer that convers any wheel and tire on it. (so I am told)

• 1 year later...
On 04/01/2018 at 12:25 AM, B4ckdrop said:

were you using Super Swamper TSL SX tires? Will take note of the recommendations. I'm also looking for a good buy

Mine were TSL , 38x13x16, did 100's of trail runs on them, still looked to be 90%ish, ran them for a summer in the city, wore them fast , took em off befor i killed them totally. I was also working at a tire shop part time and I put the tsl sx on a big mall crawler, tires only lasted a few oil changes on the truck. I love the superswampers off road, absolutely awesome!! I have a set of 39.5 irocks currently, have never seen pavement more than crossing to trails, and they still look like new. Have a few hundred kms of trails on them and awesome traction off road. Good traction in deep snow.

Super swampers on the road suck, especially in the winter, they suck on packed snow, flat spot over night, they dont drive nice, have to "steer" your rig down the road. But that's just my expirences, everyone should try a set of swampers out at somepoint.

Archived