• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Whats in your on-board spare parts kit?

82Yota

I am going to start carrying a few welding rods also, can weld off of batteries in a pinch to fix a broken shackle or something similar. I use to have a hilift jack but someone stole it when I lived on Herring Cove Rd. First night I was back from Alberta! Spryfield man...

I just looked at the Club requirements and suggestions for gear.  There's a link on the post for Saturday's run.  The list includes as suggestions:

First Aid kit and Fire Extinguisher which I do have. (I've had to use the Fire Extinguisher on my truck.  That is an interesting little story.) We all forgot those in this thread.

And it includes a spill kit.  

Thanks for posting the Trail Rating and other notes Jay at the start of the thread about any Run.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to bring this back since I think there's some good information in this thread.

Updated spares list:

3 axles - 2 front 1 rear

Tie rod

Belt

Plug wires

Air filter

Full size spare

All nuts, bolts, c-clips etc for rear end

Rad hoses

Heater hose

Fuel hose

Clamps - asst sizes

Vacuum hose

Wire

Fuses

Misc nuts and bolts

Tools:

Full socket set

Wrenches up to 22mm (bigger in SAE)

Pliers of all different sorts

Screw drivers

Torx sockets - because jeep

Pipe wrench

Length of pipe

Hammers

36mm socket

Vise grips

Pry bar

Flash lights

- Probably forgetting a ton of stuff

Fluids: 

Oil

Gear oil

ATF

Power steering fluid

Brake fluid

Coolant / Antifreeze

Water

Ether

Penetrating fluid

WD40

Other Junk:

Fire extinguisher

Booster cables

Tow ropes

Recovery straps

Axle straps

Tree saver

Snatch blocks

Shackles

Hitch receiver bench vise

Tarps

Hi lift jack

Sweaters

Wind breaker / Light rain coat

Gloves

LOL Eugine !!

That's a good selection of gear Justin...and thanks again for the oil last week !! :) (and Derek for the water hose wrap that's still on my pipe LOL - I must get me some of that)

Since I severely downsized, my list got a LOT smaller...but I should also re-evaluate it as I needed some help on the mud run ;)

1 hour ago, jay said:

Since I severely downsized, my list got a LOT smaller...but I should also re-evaluate it as I needed some help on the mud run ;)

We all don't get out on every run, and actually many of us often travel 'alone', but there is some benefit to spreading the common spare parts amongst a group of wheelers.  More easily done on multi-day runs, etc.  Like the Jim and John's NL adventure.  I realize it is not easy for any run, because anyone can drop out at any time, but there is merit.

Not everyone needs to carry all fluids, nor full tool sets, for example.  Axle shafts are pretty specific though!

Just sayin', great idea, hard to implement.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

Nice.  Insert joke here: I will have to travel Behind Jay in order to carry his spares.   

However, I didn't have oil, or rad hose, or or or on the last run!

lol

Or an iPhone charger, lol.  I'll grab that when I pay for my decal. :)

3 hours ago, derekmac said:

Or an iPhone charger, lol.  I'll grab that when I pay for my decal. :)

Yeah.  Well, I had brought an AC adapter and cord! lol  But misplaced my 12V/AC inverter, and don't carry a 12v/USB adapter in the Burb.

So, your iPhone charger is sitting on the entryway table at home where I won't forget it.  (Until Deborah moves it.) I was going to give it to my brother to give to you at work.

But I haven't been out to his place yet, the Burb is still parked on the street at my place.  And next week he is away on vacation.  Then it's M.U.D. Day 2, and you can't make it.

And I haven't been making it to Coffee nights.

I will get it back to you!

Archived