• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Whats in your on-board spare parts kit?

82Yota

Mine is this so far:

Front drive shaft

Starter

2 plug wires

Coil

Manual hub

Tobacco can of bolts and nuts

2 birfield joints for toyota SFA (as soon as i can pack them with grease and vacuum seal them)

Power steering and alternator belt

Random lengths of wire

This is all stuff that I have accumulated over the years, not stuff that I went out and bought.

Whatchoo got?

Wow I forgot to write a full size spare, duh.

The birf are the biggest worry for me though. They don't take up too much space really. I got the idea from a friend who did the same but with dana 60 shafts and came across a guy on the trail up in Mclean Creek who needed one so he gave it to him. Didn't charge him or anything, just didn't like to see anyone stuck.

Not saying you should carry a spare transmnission or whatever but you never know whos out there that might have something to save your *** some day...

57 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

Wow I forgot to write a full size spare, duh.

The birf are the biggest worry for me though. They don't take up too much space really. I got the idea from a friend who did the same but with dana 60 shafts and came across a guy on the trail up in Mclean Creek who needed one so he gave it to him. Didn't charge him or anything, just didn't like to see anyone stuck.

Not saying you should carry a spare transmnission or whatever but you never know whos out there that might have something to save your *** some day...

https://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-shafts/shafts-front-hilux/chromoly-um07-marfield-27-spline

Not sure which axle you have, but these are much much stronger!

I am just rocking stock axles at the moment. I never had the chance to get a proper set of Bobby Long axles before he died. As much as I dont want too Ill probably get TG dirty 30's for the warranty

I carry the requisite spare tire, and belts. Also tools and fluids.  I have 1-Ton solid axles, not likely to break anything there, the other two most susceptible items I've had quit in the field were fuel pump and starter.  (And the fuel pump was only a few months old, and the starter was less than a year old so it was replaced under warranty.)  At the time we did not have Sunday shopping, and it was a Sunday at the Summer Event, but many folks still had SBC fuel pumps and starters kicking around their garages and got me fixed up.

The fuel pump came off a SBC sitting under an apple tree, and it was an older re-buildable style, I kid you not!   I had to dissemble it and clean out the ants nest!  Then it fired right up!

Today, with Crappy Tire being open on Sundays, I'm usually not wheeling hours/days into the high desert, and I have access to two diesel pickups and my own 24' car hauler trailer, well, all I carry is belts, fluids, and the tire.

Though I should carry some rubber fuel line because that failed 45 mins before M.U.D. this year!  But I was only minutes away from a Crappy Tire!

When I build my deck for my truck I plan on making a small tool box thats somewhat hidden to store a few things like extra fuel lines and whatnot. But I also plan on having my mother in-law whos a seamstress make me a PVC "tent" that snaps on to the deck rails so my wife and dog can go camping.

I am trying top convince her to make pvc tops for 4runners and jeeps, she doesn't think theres a market for it...

Oil spills are one of my biggest concerns. I wont do a water crossing if I am leaking anything. I also don't want to oil the inside of my frame for the same reason, hence why I devised a way to paint the inside once I get all of the mud and gunk out.

No need to give them anymore excuses to shut down our trails

The club investigated the bulk purchase and distribution of spill kits last year; however, we never followed through on it (cost?). I believe it was Calvin who had a line on them for us. Might be worth talking about again - it is an excellent idea for at least a few rigs to carry them.

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

The club investigated the bulk purchase and distribution of spill kits last year; however, we never followed through on it (cost?). I believe it was Calvin who had a line on them for us. Might be worth talking about again - it is an excellent idea for at least a few rigs to carry them.

Even building your own and storing it in a 5 gallon bucket or something similar would work. A friend of mine works demolition and has access to a lot of those oil absorbing pads. Maybe I should grab some from him and distribute them around people haha

I don't carry axle shafts for the ford, it has rcv shafts. I carry a lot of tools,including brake line flareing kit, spindle nut socket, pickle forks, common tools, a generator, full size spare, belts, fluids, spill kit, several power tools , , ratchet straps, tarp straps, tarp, extension cords,tripod flood light stand front and rear driveline, full size aircompressor, wheel bearings, chain saw, 2 shovels, pick axe, high lift jack, full size floor jack. Lots of straps, shackles and recovery type stuff, electrical repair kit, shrink tube,  And probably left lots of stuff out too.

Wow Matt!- Powerram.  Probably wouldn't fit in a Jeep!

if I was wheelin' a bit further from home a front spindle nut and bearings would definitely be a good idea.

i have a Hi-Lift style jack with large base and wheel adapter.  Bottle jack and lots of blocking.  (I'd never lift the body high enough to change a tire.) Buck saw, axe, sometimes the chain saw, shovel, BOOSTER CABLES that we all forgot to mention as tools, flashlights, lots of rigging, (shackles, straps, chain, rear trailer hitch tow point), rotating light for the roof, and some other tools.

Ratchet straps, rope, lots of gloves especially for handling winch cable,  jacket, toque, rubber boots with a hole in one, matches, hand warmers, air pressure gauge, hammer in the tool box. AA batteries, mostly for the handheld GPS.  Cell phone charger.  And a few other  odd and sods.

i guess the thread spread from just spare vehicle parts!

Ty-wraps!  Tarp that covers the whole bed area of the truck, keeping away prying eyes.  But worked great when checking a fuel line underneath in a muddy spot one time.  Until I learned you can pour fuel directly into the float bowl of a QuadraJet and drive her a few feet!

Yep, booster cables in my truck too. I'd have to be in it to remember what all is in there . knife is always on me so I don't carry one in the truck. Sometimes I carry a spare starter and alternator, especially when I was wheeling in the mountains. Also iv been known to carry jeep parts from other wheelers due to center of gravity, carrying there spare tires while navigating steep off camber situations and steep hill climbs so the jeeps won't tip over backwards. I carry a long piece of pipe for leverage , an axe with a sledge hammer end and a long prybar. Yes my rigs are heavy.

I love off camber technical trails, extreme river crossings and the worse the weather the more I enjoy it. That said , with the exception of my Ford, in case of rollover all the orfaces and vent tubes from engine, trans, t-case and diffs lead to a centeral recovery jug so they wouldn't leak onto the ground while upside down.

Archived