• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

BAJA BLACKSHEEP

Powerram

Ah ha, another truck. This truck I call the Baja Blacksheep. The beast has a 5.2L(318) V8, 5 speed manual,(nv3500), 4x4, Np231 transfer case and a 9-1/4 rearend. Has 3.50-1 gears Should be a fun little truck, only 150,000kms. The price was right. Will also have mild trail duty till the recovery truck is built.

It has been well uundercoated, so rust is minimal. Can't wait to start driving it, soon I hope

IMG_20151010_155507666.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK, so building this truck is going to commence. Need a truck and I have sold my diesel. Also my suburban I just brought back from Alberta has blown transfer case and reverse is gone in the transmission.  Since the suburban is in such great shape , I'll spare it for this winter. Updates coming soon on BAJA Blachsheep. Here is a pic of the new addition to the stable replacing my diesel truck.

IMG_20151112_154350939_HDR.jpg

36 minutes ago, Powerram said:

I figure it will kill an hour, or at the most maybe 2 hours. 

I'm not a very efficient mechanic.  I have good tools and access to a garage often....   Everything I do takes 4 times as long as it should!  And brakes, trying to fix a rusted line  I find more lines break, the bleed screw is seized, then another line breaks........ lol

OK, spent my time with the family this weekend. Never looked at the Blacksheep at all, but I did pick up another truck to go with it. A 2003 club cab Dakota sport with Meyers elec/hyd plow, 4.7 v8 and 5 speed manual 4x4.

• 241/260/270 in³ "Semi-HemiA-series V8
  • 277/301/303/313/318  in³ "Plymouth PolyA-series V8
  • 326 in³ Red Ram 326 A-series V8
  • 273/318/340/360 in³ small block LA-seriesV8
  • 238 in³ LA-series V6
  • Magnum 3.9 liter LA-series V6
  • Magnum 4.7/5.2/5.9 liter LA-series V8
  • Viper 8.0/8.3 liter LA-series V10 (This engine has similar bolt patterns to the LA/Small Block except that the top holes on the Aluminum V10 will not align with any other LA/Small Block transmission.)
  • Ram Tough Magnum LA-series V10 (This Engine has a bolt pattern that does not match any other Chrysler/Dodge, it WILL NOT bolt up to any other transmission other than the iron block V10.)
  • 2000–present 5.7/6.1/6.4/6.6 liter Hemi V8

As much as I'd love to do a 5 spd swap with my Jeep, it would be far too much fab work for me. I followed the only swap I could find online, and it was pretty complicated. Custom exhaust, electrical, frame notching for the exhaust, etc. All that plus getting the pedals to work. 

And with the transmission being a different length, moving the transfer case includes new driveshafts and body mods.

On a vehicle like mine, built before electronic controls AND built with both manual and automatic transmissions, the swaps are easy with re-used parts.

I'm done with automatic transmissions. I just don't have any luck with them on or off road in trucks. My suburban has a 4l80 and the malfunction of the shifter taking out reverse. That is the last time. The suburban is getting a NV4500 5 speed.  Everything I drive from now on is going to be manual.  Just a reliability thing for me.

Just now, TomWood said:

That looks like a great find! Once I have some cash I may need you to find me a plow truck lol

This is the wrong time of year for looking for a plow truck. I think I paid a bit high on this truck and plow, but it fits. Gives me extra parts and a good quality plow. So Tom , if you were to find a ford truck from the eighties up to 1991 , I can hook you up with a plow. I have one there that is pretty good shape and work nice. . 

I don't think I'm going to use this truck for anything but parts. Mainly because it has the 4.7, which is an unknown for me other than it has design flaws similar to the 2.7 Chrysler engine in the intrepid. The horse power rating is only 5hp less in the 5.2 , and that is a proven engine for me. Also the black sheep is in a bit better condition than the new truck.

Right now it the time to buy sports cars, campers, motorcycles, see doos, boats, and things of the like.

The time to buy plow trucks, snowmobiles, snowblowers , and other winter related things is in the spring or summer months.

This little rig I bought , the guys phone was blowing up since he put the ad in. While I was looking at it it was constantly going off , he said all txts and calls about the truck and plow. It's a plow sellers market right now

Yep, hopefully next spring ill have a couple of more dead plow trucks to fix up over the summer and sell next winter. Just need a truck to attach to my bigger Fisher plow. This Meyers on the Dakota is just a small one .

Archived