• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Barrett Land Keys

SQRLPWR

I thought this was worth a separate thread..

I did the Barrett 'family stewardship' course tonight in order to get a gate key.

Not having any previous Barrett or Beaver Bank history, I saw a glimpse of Barrett's perspective regarding use of their land. I got a sense that there have been a fair amount of issues over past years, including some deaths on their property. So it was no surprise that the majority of the talk focussed on respecting their rules, policing their land, and liabilities thereof.

Barrett seemed to look heavily to the Beaver Bank ATV Club as responsible for the entire ATV community. I imagine this could be the reason for the ATV signage at The Villa.

So in order for an ATV user to get a key, the applicant has to be first sanctioned by the Beaver Bank ATV Club. Once approved, a prospect still has to go through the same process as a non-ATV user.

There is no general ATV Club key. Keys are assinged to individuals, who must abide by the rules.

So with that in mind, I don't feel there would much benefit for us to have the same setup as for the ATV Club, as we would still need to attend the course as individuals.

I also believe that if our club was tied-in like the ATV club, then Barrett would view all 4X4 problems as somehow linked to us. Think Myra bridge/Jeep/NSJC issue.

When asked if I could lead 1 other person through Barrett land, I didn't get a straight yes, rather it was acceptable, but only as an exception.

My advise is to get yourself a key if you plan on requiring access.

Thanks Jay! For him to hold stewardship meetings, even on a summer evening, shows well, good stewardship! And would show due diligence if ever in court. What we do next, If anything, I have no thoughts. I think I will take the course. Maybe the whole club should take the course. Something to discuss. Having most club members through the course, and our recognition with Ledwidge Rally, may mean something. I know NSJC has SWAT.

Thanks Jay! For him to hold stewardship meetings, even on a summer evening, shows well, good stewardship! And would show due diligence if ever in court. What we do next, If anything, I have no thoughts. I think I will take the course. Maybe the whole club should take the course. Something to discuss. Having most club members through the course, and our recognition with Ledwidge Rally, may mean something. I know NSJC has SWAT.

Might be worth approaching Barrett as a club to request a course at one of our meetings / hold the meeting at the course. Show the organization of the club and the stewardship / care we show for the lands we use.

Due diligence - that was a phrase used a LOT last night LOL

I really like the idea of all our members having a key - making it mandatory....I'm not so sure, but only because it's a $50 cost.

I believe that's just a one-off cost until Barrett changes the locks in 2020, where you'd need to re-take the course and get a new key - so $10/year to access a lot of land/lakes/hunting/camping etc....maybe not so bad after all!

As for approaching Barrett as a club - I'm not so sure - ATVs in general got a kicking last night, and I don't think the ATV club is really responsible for the problems he was describing, BUT the expectation was for the ATV club to fix said problems or loose access!....tarred with the same brush came to mind.

Yeah, we don't need to be thought responsible for all problems by 4x4s! Maybe best for individuals as Jay says. Now the mapping side - do they show A map of Barret Lands? Or just if you get to a gate then you need a key? I'll feel better if I take the course! Is the course dates on-line?

They supply area maps, designated roads and gate numbers....in my possession - they're in my X if you want to see them next time I'm around - or I could PM them.

Nothing online that I know of, but the courses are quite regular - I just called them to be added to the list, then they call you back with a time/date a week before the course runs.

I'll flat out say I'd resign my membership before I jump through any of BB ATVs hoops. They can **** right off. Not a single club trail touches barret land, the only place barrett owns we really touch is the route up from Sandy Lake to the windmills. And that's only been run once and not as a monthly.

Other then that they're mostly the green forest to cheasapeek strech of land.

those who were at the last months meeting know how strongly I feel about the BB ATV club....but on the brighter side i think it be good if we as a club/select few ....tom as pres....contact barrett and set up a meeting with him...as iv said before...we as a club use to have direct access to his lands untill some issues arrose with OTHER atv /4x4 users ..and a previous presedent resining from his position,...and also a vice whom had left..

• 6 months later...

From what I have read and heard from folks I know about Barrett he sounds like a reasonable guy but he is under fire from our idiotic provincial govt and probably just fed up. As for being un-organised, I don't know how to comment on that. Maybe the club(s) around NS should have a little pow wow and try to work together and maybe weed out some idiots in the process. 

Maybe organize a trail clean up and try to get everyones participation with a communal bbq at the end? Pretty good way to get to know the evil atv'ers or whatever poison you choose. Also, something like that makes the Libtards that don't want us to have access to these places look moronic as I doubt none of them would be willing to help out. 

I'd be willing to come and help out but I'd have to ride shotgun as my rig isnt anywhere near done. Just a thought

Trail clean up sounds like a good idea.  That is something Tom might want to address as a club.  Or perhaps a number of Barrett key holders should and not the club.

There was something in the paper how home/landowners have to pay Halifax Water to help control run off.  My take on the article was the cost is for theoretically providing culverts and such to control run off from streets because it can't soak into the ground.  But if I understood it right, the Barrett woodlands, which is 100% natural run-off control, gets charged unfairly high prices based on land size.  Whereas they shouldn't be charged at all

Sheesh!

If you can bring out a pile of garbage and burnt out old cars then document it. Its good press in the long run. Same goes for recoveries made by members, post it on the main site so people can see that you're not the ones driving around the green gates and tearing up the woods with stolen trucks.

I understand the permission thing but maybe he has a point about not being organised, trail clean up should be an annual thing. It just seems like there is so much hostility between the different 4x4/OHV clubs. If the clubs can't get along then we're doomed.

My wifes family owns a campground down along the Lahave river out towards New Germany and they have to deal with the rails to trails people because the tracks cross their driveway and it makes a mess of it when they fishtail on the loose gravel.

What would need to be done is to organize a cleanup of an area and include all ohv clubs be it snowmobiles, ATV , Heep clubs and off road clubs. Also make it a big deal, have prizes draw for most weird thing found, raffell, food. Public attention and of course permission to clean said  area

Archived