• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Transmission Rebuild Recommendation / Advice

autumnwalker

So the H2 transmission slipping is getting worse (I think) despite a healthy dose of Lucas.

I took it into Cottman Transmission on Wyse Road a few weeks back and the recommendation from the owner was rebuild with OEM+ ASAP because it will suddenly fail on me and I will be stranded (I think he was issuing a bit of FUD, but fair enough).

Looking for recommendations on rebuild and shops to perform the work. The quote from Cottman made me cringe for "OEM+". I'm 1/2 way to a performance crate transmission on his quote.

Thoughts?

6L80E 6-speed (2008–2009); automatic

4L65E 4-speed (2003–2007)

Thats according to google and by no means accurate I am sure.

Edit: Rockauto is showing the 4L65E transmission for the 2007 models as well. For both the 6.0L and 6.2L engines.

That's why I asked Tom, don't know the year of the H2 ;)

I called a friend who drags a 68 Camaro and he named 3 people. 2 within 20 minutes of my house (Truro) and one in the Kentville area. The same 3 people build transmissions for Diesel drag trucks, so they might know what they are doing.

Trouble with the performance crate transmission or a used one, you still have to pay to install it! Cottman's price would be remove/rebuild/reinstall and check that it works.

I had M&B re-build the TH700R4. They did a good job on the re-build, f***ked up the re-install, and it blew up a few miles later. Then they said it was likely my fault. Until they took it apart and realized they f***ked up, they didn't flush the cooler lines which were plugged. And the tranny starved for fluid. They came good for the second re-build.

However, and there is always a however, they supposedly put new gaskets in the transfer case twice, and I paid twice, and it still pours out because they missed the same seal twice, on the shifter rod. Oh but it's a seal, not a gasket they said. So who is the real idiot? Me I thinks!

The tranny works great though! Nice Transgo shift kit, Corvette servo, etc, all of the upgrades.

Hope this helps!

The other persons name is Laurie, but I don't have a last name yet my friend is going to find out and get phone #'s for both of them. Laurie lives in Alton between Stewiacke & Brookfield). Both build transmissions for drag vehicles (strip & mud).

Clarence also has a good option, sometimes the cost OEM will surprise you in a good way. Another option is used; Car-Part is showing one on the Island with 52 kms (yes 52) & another in NB with 47k kms both around $1200.

ETA: You probably already know this Scott, but in racing/off-road applications, a lot of people are running the Monster Trans kits. Both of the people above install them often (according to my friend who drags)

If you are buying or building a performance transmission, make sure it is suitable or customized for your application. Something designed for race is not always good for the street/trail. Quite often isn't, in fact! In particular a camshaft in an engine, stall speed / torque converter in an automatic transmission, and clutch clamping force for a manual transmission.

I DO NOT KNOW but if you were to buy a new or used transmission I would ask if a certified garage has to install it for warranty purposes.

I would check gm they have factory ones with 3 year 160k km warranties at very reasonable prices

So do I just call up O'Regan's and they could source one for me or is there GM Performance in Canada?

Clearly I'm a noob when it comes to crate performance parts.

Archived