• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Greetings from Beaver Bank

jmacdonald

G'day Eh.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from Beaver Bank. Sort of a noob to the whole scene. I was transfixed by Xoverlands youtube channel , so you have them to thank.

I drive a 2011 Subaru Outback 6 speed. Mods so far only include a princess auto roof rack and a slight willingness to take a new-ish car into dirty places.

I've done a few trips on some logging roads and one less used road/4wheeler trail in the winter with some other subaru buds. Car does fine, I'm just not anxious to bang up the body panels too much. (Should have not bought a white car :))

Its got road tires on it now, but I want to move to something like a geolander when these wear out. I can see me putting a skid plate on it, but probably nothing too insane. According to the trail rating page on your site, my car lives somewhere in the 2 to 2.5 range. I'm fine with that. It suits my budget.

So yeah. Hello.

Here's a pic from the Look off in Blomidon.

Jeff.

post-1098-0-37667100-1430140630_thumb.jp

Yeah.. not exactly a true 4x4 rig, but the AWD is "decent" and it has about 9 inches of ground clearance. "Better than a kick in the face"

I've had it down Connors brook road in Kingston a few years ago before it got super washed out. Had it thru Renfrew road this winter (bumped the rear skid plate... aka the trailer hitch) on a steep decline, other than that it was uneventful, had it all over the Barrett lumber roads, and went once from about the villa over to Monta Vista Road.

I am looking forward to going for a few rides with some patent folks to help me spot and give tips. I know for certain it will do more than i've done with it, but I'd like spotters and people with experience to tell me when I can do more, or when I"m being stupid. It is our daily driver so I do use caution.

There's a bit of "road" back Renfrew that you'd be able to do, but there are also spots back there that you most definitely wouldn't want to try.

You'd probably be able to do the Pipeline as well. There might be a couple of spots that could be tricky, but I think you'd make it through.

There's a bit of "road" back Renfrew that you'd be able to do, but there are also spots back there that you most definitely wouldn't want to try.

You'd probably be able to the Pipeline as well. There might be a couple of spots that could be tricky, but I think you'd make it through.

Yeah, i can always turn around :) well... not always.

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone! I went dark there. Things came up.  

Anyways, I just signed on the dotted line on a  2017 Chev Colorado Z71 Off-road, crew cab long bed. I know it's not a jeep or even a zr2 but it's quite capable. I don't want to take it rock crawling but I do want to learn what it can and can't do. In the last year or so with my outback I've realized that it can do much more  that I thought it could and basically what I lack is experience and knowhow.

So I'd like to either find a 4x4 course with an instructor that could help me learn the vehicles capabilities, or come out with you folks and learn the same thing. If only so that when I'm out somewhere with the family I can tell the difference between "I ain't touchin that" and "We can totally drive thru/over/around this".

I'll post some pictures after I take delivery on Monday.

Wicked looking truck man! First pieces of advice if you take it wheeling, remove the side steps and front dam before hand and put back on after. Those are going to get hit and marked up the most. :) Common out to a coffee night and meet up with us, friendly bunch and have a ton of advice for yah 

Thanks for the advice!  I'm going to try to trick out some sort of quick-release for the front dam. Or just leave it off. They say it adds a lot of aero, but I don't put 80k a year on the thing I doubt I'll actually notice it being gone.

Re the side steps : Good tip. I figure they're 6 bolts each or something. Will have a peak once I get under it.

Oh oh!  Tom gives good advice but something more to consider.  You can repaint/replace factory(?) side steps cheaper and easier than repairing rocker panels.  But you will be less likely to hit the rocker panel than low hanging side steps.

Be prepared mentally for that first scratch!

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Oh oh!  Tom gives good advice but something more to consider.  You can repaint/replace factory(?) side steps cheaper and easier than repairing rocker panels.  But you will be less likely to hit the rocker panel than low hanging side steps.

Be prepared mentally for that first scratch!

Side steps would be easier to repair than rockers, but factory steps usually can't support the weight of the vehicle and will bend and hit the rockers.  Now you got 2 things to fix.  And you might of cleared the obstacle if the steps weren't there. 

So the steps were advertised as "off road steps" but I think all that means is that where typical ones stick out 5 inches, these only stick out 3 inches and they have a fancy non-chrome black paint :).

Honestly, anytime I'm off roading and I have the family with me I'll have those on. So I guess what I want to learn is what can I do _with_ those on.

And yeah. I'm wincing at first scratch. We got all of the "platinum paint protection", I specifically said to the guy at the stealership "will this protect against spruce trees on narrow trails in beaverbank" and he said "yes". I have my doubts, but we shall see heheh.

15 minutes ago, jmacdonald said:

I specifically said to the guy at the stealership "will this protect against spruce trees on narrow trails in beaverbank" and he said "yes". I have my doubts, but we shall see heheh.

Salespersons   ....I wonder if they'd honour that promise when you return with your shiny all banged up?

Welcome BTW :)

1 hour ago, jmacdonald said:

Does anyone make a slider/step combo ?

I wouldn't be surprised if the factory 'off-road' step is a bit of a slider/step, some reading on the GM website would be in order!  Then Google for Colorado rocker guards, etc and you should get dozens of websites.

Archived