• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

I think it snuck in around the corner and bounced from the lens to my eye. Yep, I never used to wear glasses till I worked the rigs, now I don't go anywhere without them, in the glove box of all my cars, in my tool box, feels weird without them, I even wear em mowing the lawn.

I find it hard to wear a shield while working outside, it fogs up too much. And yes , proper to wear sheild and glasses

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn... Knew I should have shortened it a few more links even with both front tires flattebed. But the reason for the length is be able to give her a shake. Hooked the suburban up to the back of  the ford and Tracey pulled it back away from the picker. The picker wouldn't roll in the soft gravel. Anyway the weezing 302 is out. 

IMG_20160509_182024648_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

Wicked man!  Can't wait to see the Ford back in action!

You and me both haha.

IV got the engine all bolted in now. Bottom is buttoned up. Just gotta finish putting the accessories on , prime the oiling system and modify the fuel lines for the carb.  Also have to install the intake and distributor

Bit more today between raindrops, rockers, lifters and pushrods installed, primed oiling system, made a bracket to bolt the power steering pump on, the 351w has a higher deck height, so not all the brackets from the 302 will work. Got the brackets all figured out and installed rad, hoses, shroud, it's starting to look like a truck again

I don't got no crazy stories like Matt today, Hope u are alright man!!,  

I'm very cheap, no denial, so I have to fabricate some linkage for the throttle. 

The motor craft Holley carb is going to need an overhaul and was a bolt on item,but I'm not really a fan of that carb for this application. I got a carter/edlebrock carb that also needs some freshening up, and I don't really like that carb on any thing.  I have a brand new Rochester Quadra Jet sitting here not doing anything, I'll stick that on. It's probably the best suited carb for what I want. The truck will be

"Built Ford Tough With Chevy Stuff"

Had to build a new linkage, it's different than most , this q-jet has bolt on side linkage. So I made a new plate fore the throttle to bolt on. Doesn't sound like much , but having no vice, no vice grips and just a drill and a grinder I think it came out pretty good. It's the blue piece on the carb. Now it is starting to take shape

Don't flame me too bad for my air breather, it's all I have till I find a Dakota breather or build something else.

IMG_20160517_201917799.jpg

IMG_20160517_195740731.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Removed some more wiring today, did some wiring today with the fuel pumps, got most of the fuel lines hooked back up with return regulator and low pressure regulator, just have to make a short piece of line off the carb, installed new slave cylinder and bled it for the clutch, and since I have Chevy parts I might as well add some AMC into the mix, 

IMG_20160525_165830148.jpg

IMG_20160525_165823148.jpg

i knew you lived local to me, but didnt know how close. i picked out your truck when we passed your house on the bikes last weekend. less then 10 min on the bikes, prob only 5 min in the truck. im on woodville rd

your getting close to flashing her up 

2 hours ago, joeylowthers450R said:

i knew you lived local to me, but didnt know how close. i picked out your truck when we passed your house on the bikes last weekend. less then 10 min on the bikes, prob only 5 min in the truck. im on woodville rd

your getting close to flashing her up 

Yep, I grew up in the mill on school house Rd. Should have it fired after lunch today, 

Having a hard time getting the clutch bled, it never felt great since I've had the truck, but I did a bone head move and blew the slave cylinder without having it hooked up, so new slave cylinder is on but doesn't seem to be releasing the clutch properly, I think I got it , but will see once I can drive it, this is 2 firsts for me, wrecking the slave cyl like that and not being able to to get a good pedal

Been 25+ years since I played with a clutch.  But is it the cylinder throw or not enough throw or something else wrong inside the clutch?  But I only worked on mechanical linkage ones, not hydraulic.  So I don't really know what I'm talking about!

23 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Been 25+ years since I played with a clutch.  But is it the cylinder throw or not enough throw or something else wrong inside the clutch?  But I only worked on mechanical linkage ones, not hydraulic.  So I don't really know what I'm talking about!

I got her bled now, feels like it did when I got it, whish wasn't great. Hyd clutch, operates with a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. The pedal was like your brake pedal when you get air in the lines, the pedal wouldn't get firm enough to push the throwout bearing into the diaphragm of the pressure plate. The clutch is new last year with under 2500kms on it, the flywheel is brand new, nothing wrong with any of that, I got a feeling the issues are in a worn out master cylinder. It never felt right since I've had the truck, and I also had a twin to this at the same time and the clutch felt great in that truck. Here is my beast currently running in the driveway and the twin truck I sent for scrap metal

IMG_20160526_170149576_HDR.jpg

2013-08-14_14.58.45.jpg

Got the engine tuned to where it seems happy, but she is too quiet. I'm thinking I'm gonna give her a bit more voice in the exhaust department. Currently it has long tube headers, dual 2-1/4  pipes into a dual in/dual out muffler, but not much sound comes out. Not sure how I'm going to proceed with it, but I definitely want to have it a bit louder. 

I don't have any "before" pics, but this is the process I used to straighten the radius arm drop brackets, I drilled 2 holes , spread the radius arm brackets with the nuts on a piece of threaded rod, once I had it spread , I welded a piece of tubing below the threaded rod to keep it spread and removed the rod, I set another piece of tubing on top of the first one and welded into place, then cut the first piece back off. Here are a coupe of pics

IMG_20160601_230925693.jpg

IMG_20160601_230919655.jpg

25 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

That should stop the 'Ford Flex'!  I know it was rotation and not flex.  Where are you working these days,  changing F150 spark plugs and blue hoists?

That bar won't change any of the box to cab flex, it will prevent my steering from perminately  changing every time I drive it haha, what is happening is the radius arm drops were turning inwards on the bottom and pulling the cab mounts with them. I didn't change jobs, still  driving for the same company

Archived