• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a new cherry picker today to do the lifting, also got the whole d60 axle and suspension placed where I can slide it under the truck once the ford suspension and axles  are removed. I did some measuring and planned out how to install the superduty springs and rear shackles.

IMG_20170829_181809.jpg

Holy ****, this turned into an all out build, for a simple axle swap. I been racking my brain on driveshaft comparability. End result I love having lotsa junk. I need a two piece driveshaft for the length of the truck. The factory superduty shaft is one piece and 1350 joints with companion flange at both ends. The driveshaft in the ford right now is tiny little joints and small diameter tube. I remembered having the two piece driveshaft from the 1996 dodge Cummins truck I junked and it has 1410 joints if I remember correctly, might even have 1350 and that would be cheaper, It is from a ext cab longbox 4x4 config,  and is a 2 piece shaft. I don't have it here to measure total length but I'm thinking I can work with it and just get new flange yolk to mate to the flange on the sterling 10.5, and a 1410 yolk on the np205. Might have to get one piece retubed for length. Not sure yet. Focus is going into the rear axle first. Iv got the rear sterling 10.5 out of the superduty now and getting ready to install it. It needs 100% brakes and also a new diff cover . it rusted through. The rear end is a bolt in application, nothing special but bigger u bolts for axle tube dia.

the np208 is pretty well worn , so I'm going to replace it with ,np205 which I have one sitting here. The dimensions are different then the np208, but the notch is there for the shifter rails on the adaptor so it should clock correctly. It has the same spline count and same circle bolt pattern. 

Got all the brake parts installed on the rear, including backing plates . painted everything, including all the new parts. Spent an hour or 2 freeing up park brake levers that goes through the backing plates. Yep installed new diff cover and painted it too. Grand total on brakes and related parts on the rear axle was $1200. Still haven't looked at the driveshaft yet. Also bent some coated hard-line and plumbed the brakes in. 

MmsPicture_20170905150633.jpeg

Grrr, I got spoiled with Alberta vehicles. Rear axle vent tube also holds flex line to the axle. Went to remove it and it started coming and twisted off. It was rotten.  So when I return the caliper cores I'll pick up new vent bolt and extractor kit. Also noticed the rear fuel tank started leaking, sending unit is in rough shape too. I'll price that up with tank straps and new sending unit. This is one bigass snow ball:angry:. But still cheaper than a new truck I guess

Woo hoo, confirmed donor driveshaft is 1410 joints. Next step is 1410 flange yolk to mate to the sterling pinion flange. Then I can figure if the front half or rear half will get more length . all depends on where the steady bearing lands

Back to rust, vent tube nipple is installed and painted inside and out. Old one extracted and while I was at it I extracted the non existant nipple from the front diff.

Nothing really big for progress, but I did finish painting and mounting the other 2 wheels and tires. Still gotta pull the spare off the superduty and get it all cleaned up so I'll have 5 matching wheels and tires

Pretty well finished with the rear end, got e brake cables on and hooked up, hooked up shocks, filled diff with oil, bleed the brakes, have to reroute one brake cable around the shock but that is easy.  Also picked up the1410 flange yolk for the driveshaft to pinion flange. Next is transfer case swap, once it is in I can measure for the rear driveshaft length. Slowly making my way to the front.

But not without my helper. She thinks I'm fixing it for her lol

IMG_20170911_133536.jpg

6 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Simple way to extend that style mirror!

Yep, been like that for years now, iv used this truck to pull my trailer lots. There are a few dings and some barbwire rash on them, well I guess that describes the whole truck, but they fold easily for trails and are out just enough to be useful, but not too far. 

Looks like my shaft is too short.... That's what she said... 

Got the drive shaft mounted to the diff, centered slip yolk in its travel and this is where it landed.

Also picked up some more parts for the front, still some more things to get

IMG_20170915_192143.jpg

IMG_20170915_124315.jpg

Got it sitting on its own weight ,yep stands are under but not touching, 

Steering will bolt up all factory, front is a little higher than anticipated but still have some fab work for mounts but  This is mockup stage. Also moved axle centerline forward slightly.

IMG_20170926_145256.jpg

IMG_20170926_145244.jpg

IMG_20170926_145227.jpg

Archived