• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

4 hours ago, Powerram said:

Got the fuel filters changed, primed and bled fuel system, the Cat is alive , runs good, haven't got it home yet. 

I've got 2003 Cummins that has sat for 3 years.  I'll need some finesse to start that!  It may be toast, I don't know. It'll have to be resurrected this summer or sold for parts....

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I've got 2003 Cummins that has sat for 3 years.  I'll need some finesse to start that!  It may be toast, I don't know. It'll have to be resurrected this summer or sold for parts....

I'm interested

25 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

that Cummins would be nice in my towtruck

It's home... Got a few things to repair and check before dissemble, have some air problems, high low range selector inop, so she is in the low side, and it isn't charging, once I have the range selector working, disassembly will start.

IMG_20170301_232214.jpg

13 hours ago, 82Yota said:

Haha man, thats gonna be a cool rig. Has anyone told you that you're batshit crazy lately?

Hahahah , been told that before, but not lately.

Ran the truck for a bit, I have  space to run er through a few gears, but failed to check the condition of the inside of the fuel tank beforehand. That led to pushing it back up to the house. Tracey jumped into the red ford and raised the plow high to push on the frame. The inside of the fuel tank is bad, so that is why I didn't make it back to the house. Also I need more battery power to crank it. The dual 1000cca batteries I have arnt enough. Going to rig up a Jerry can for now and back flush out the lines and rebuild or replace the hand primer too. Good times haha

13 minutes ago, jay said:

Excuse my ignorance, but does that thing really put out 425BHP and 816ft-lb or torque?

And the engine rpm is what really counts!  That's probably just off idle, because wide open throttle is not much higher! lol

10 hours ago, jay said:

wow, they are crazy numbers!!

I can't speak to duty cycle, longevity nor rebuildability, but the Big Three 1Ton diesel pickups all run those numbers now.  The race is on for the first production diesel pickup with over 1,000 lb-ft.....

2 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Cummins is close.  Thery are over 900 already 

Ram 3500 HD and its 900 lb-ft is no longer the king of the torque wars among pickup trucks, as the latest edition of the 6.7L Power Stroke V8 turbo-diesel in the 2017 Ford Super Duty is rated at 925 lb-ft and 440hp

That's quoted, not my wording

1 hour ago, Powerram said:

Just saw a new Chevy Colorado with a duramax decal on the side and the bazooka tailpipe. It's a 2.8 L 4cyl duramax with almost 500 ft/LB torque

I like the look of the ZR2 off-road package.  2" lift, Diesel, rock sliders, locking difs,,,,,,,,,,,,  what's not to like?

• 2 weeks later...

No real progress, but a few more measurements, it's like this was meant to be. Front axle will get moved back some from its current position, which will work perfect with the oil pan hump and gain more clearance.

Also I haven't cleaned out the fuel system yet, but found the problem with the high low range selection. One of the air tanks isolation valves are stuck closed, preventing the secondary air tank from receiving air. That is why nothing in the cab worked , like air horn, wipers , high/ low range shift , pto shift, etc ...so today I pressured up the secondary air tank with my electric air compressor, moved range selector and can hear it in the switch and can hear that lovely " clack" of going into high range ... Woo hoo, that is awesome. Now it should do more than 35 kmph . 

• 2 months later...

No real progress yet, but parts accumulation, im undecided on using the rockwells on this build. Did some measuring on the rocks and the chev dana 60front i have and then double checked the internet specs, the rockwell axles i have aquired are from a M35A3. I also got the 2 piece wheels with them. Iv done a ton of measuring and eyeballing my frame, the d60 and the rocks. The wheels that came with the rocks are 8.5" wide and have a positive offset like a dually truck wheel. There is 4" difference between a dually chev d60 wms and the rockwell 2.5 wms. That means 2" wider per side. That means they should fit under the truck with current fenderflares and be covered. Next item to aquire for the rocks is some military tires for now, i can get some 12r20 tires , roughly 44" tall and cheap. That will get it rolling.  

Yes they are heavy , the front is about 800lbs and rear about 600lbs according to google. Unsprung weight should help to keep it pretty stable.

Gear ratio is 6.72:1 , steering has tie rod behind the axle and steering arm that will work with the factory set up on my truck. 

The front axle is totally sealed too, no sweeper seals, it has a flexible seal that is fixed on both the knuckle and the tube. 

Height of the pinion also will make the truck possible a bit higher to clear the top loader pinion. And tire choices are limited to 20" wheels unless i ditch the factory brakes and go with a custom setup.

With the wheel, feild repair will be easy, and also easy to fab an internal beadlock cage.

Im just talking out loud right now ,  I would keep it all leafsprung. Not sure why i want to put rockwells in in other than being different and always wanted rocks. Also, if i neep parts , these axles are pretty cheap to obtain, and the inventory is huge.

20170607_170136.jpg

Found a pic for reference to my build. Yes it a chev but it not lifted crazy, the axles are just the right width. Iv decided 100% it is going to get the rockwells. No progress yet, but my wife is tired of hearing me go back and forth with this so now ill talk to the forum about it haha. Mine wont be that shiny tho.

1977-GMC-Rockwell-Mini-Monster-Truck-4.jpg

Archived