• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

. I love bog mud and organic mud, the black type of mud, cleans up so good afterwards, even the white letters on the tires are sparkling white now, the rcv boots are nice and bright again and got rid of all the caked on brown and red mud from under, the truck is spotless now underneath. 

Some minor repairs to do since mud day 3, need to change engine oil, the engine took a $#it kicking,  by being drowned, drinking the old red muddy water, need to pick up a Borg and Beck pressure plate for the clutch and a new throwout bearing, it's not slipping yet and not noisy yet, but I got a feeling the diaphragm pressure plate has some silt in it, and the throwout bearing was under too, luckily there is no signs of water/oil contamination, second the battery is weak and this run finished it off, blew a brake line for the rear brakes, and have to check on the front wheel bearings also for water contamination, checked for heat when I got home, nice and cool, so maybe I have the water in hubs fixed now.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

That engine, and the clutch, sure took a **** kicking and still pulled my Chevy out!  I'm not embarrassed or bitter, lol.  I probably should have given her a bit more at the end like you did, maybe next time! 

I'm not bitter or embarrassed either, as long as everyone has fun and gets pulled out in the end of the day. I was pulled by a Jeep and your Suburban a couple of times, A bit of smack talk in-between is harmless, 

Nothing wrong with being a bit conservative, I thought ya gave er pretty good!

I push my gear to the limit, and sometimes a bit beyond the limit. When it breaks, it is never just a u joint or axle broken, it's usually an engine, or transmission , or a grenaded transfercase. 

5 hours ago, jay said:

The big 'ol Ford impresses me every time....and some driving skills too, to get 'er out of that mud hole! :)

Thanks Jay

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up on the Rear Dana 60 swap in the Ford, also pulled apart the 9" and was as expected. Put 15" tires on a pair of 8 bolt wheels to keep the new tires I bought a set. so right now it is 5 lug front and 8 lug rear. Gears are matching. 

IMG_20170128_155017145.jpg

IMG_20170128_155027347_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170128_165700670_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, jay said:

So sad. Does that mean the Bronco is trail ready?

The bronco haulted, something else took priority of my garage, but there is a plan haha. A heavy diesel plan, with big tires. More to come as it progress, still making a plan of attack and seeing what from my parts hoard will work for the results I'm looking for

8 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Well, at least until next summer if nothing else is ready!  Plans change!

What did you buy for a car?

Lol, that's the truth , but it won't see trail duty , most likely won't see the road anymore, just keep it as a reliable plow truck. 

I ended up getting the g6, when the Ford broke I didn't have time to put things together so I broke down and bought a turn key car that needed nothing to drive. Wow, been a while since I've done that but I'm behind the wheel of a Mopar again, 07 Dodge Magnum

IMG_20170112_184327916.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Aaahhh, I just can't win! Well the Ford took a pounding this weekend. Compressed and mangled the frame on the old girl plowing. It's pretty bad , worst is Infront of the spring towers, but it looks to be bent behind the spring towers also. 

It was a bit of operator aggressiveness that led to this issue but also weak factory 1/2 ton truck.  My family and people who know me always said I need Military grade equipment. So I took there advise. Today I looked at a truck that is beefy. Has a diesel engine, 10 speed manual trans and will do what I want it to do I think. Pretty excited, with this truck I won't need to build the power stroke 350. This will be an everything truck and have the red Ford ext cab installed so family can come, will incorporate all the f350 plans and also have plow duty and be my wheeler. Probably the last truck I build as I now know what it is I need, here is the new donor truck..... Yes I'm serious

$_27.JPG

Matt. I was laughing with someone when you said you were building the F350 Power Stroke. I said how long will this plan last.  I'm not sure who won the bet..........

All good, no slight intended!

I have lots of plans too, including installing brand new parts that have been sitting on my shelf for 5 years, so I'm not one to talk!

And as always, we'll see you this summer on M.U.D.  Not matter what you're driving.  Maybe the X!  lol

I can just imagine what the F150 succumbed to.........  :-)

28 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Matt. I was laughing with someone when you said you were building the F350 Power Stroke. I said how long will this plan last.  I'm not sure who won the bet..........

All good, no slight intended!

I have lots of plans too, including installing brand new parts that have been sitting on my shelf for 5 years, so I'm not one to talk!

And as always, we'll see you this summer on M.U.D.  Not matter what you're driving.  Maybe the X!  lol

I can just imagine what the F150 succumbed to.........  :-)

Bahahaha, you aren't the first to make bets on how long the build will last. When I put this Ford together , it was an over night expirement. Went together fast, spent more time working on it than wheeling it to this point in time.The two dodges before this truck lasted for years after the initial build. Way more time wheeling than wrenching. This is why I wanted to build the power stroke, good one ton gear that I'm used to. But then I reevaluated what I'm going to ask of it and it is more than IV asked of my dodges , which at the end of their lives suffered severe frame fatigue and body fatigue. So the power stroke has a similar 1 ton frame to my old dodges. That is why I have gone to such a crazy idea for a build. I want the dependability I had in my dodges , and don't want to have to upkeep a truck for wheeling, a truck for plowing and a truck for off road rescue and a daily driver,  Ill combine the 4,  all into one truck. Every idea IV had lately, there was a bit of doubt, but this I feel good about. 

The pics below are the two previous dodges, the green one had many thousands of off road kms and was driven daily, and the brown 4 door was its replacement that worked well too

75739_1737388597522_3763484_n.jpg

IMG_20140803_192842677.jpg

Parts brake down will be as follows. 

3208 Cat engine

10 speed road ranger

Dodge Divorced NP 201 transfer case

Chevrolet Dana 60 front

Chevrolet Corp 14 bolt rear

Ford cab and front clip

Dodge stepside rear fenders 

Homemade box sides

Finally getting to use some of my hoarded parts 

Planning on putting my 15000lb warn between the front frame rails, 12000 lb warn between the rear frame rails and a hydraulic Ramsey 8000lb on the wrecker boom

Tires will be 325-85/16 XML  

15 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Axles will be too small.  I see Rockwells coming............    :-)

Was wondering when someone would suggest this. I haven't successfully broken a Dana 60 front yet, or a 14 bolt rear. But I'm trying lol

9 hours ago, 82Yota said:

Whoa... What was that truck before you got it? Water transport? Also, since you're gonna be working on a lot heavier gear, If you need a stick welder that runs off 240 let me know

Right on thanks.

Been digging in the parts pile, found a pair of 3" mufflers from the Challenger, they will work perfect for the exhaust.. New parts purchases will be kept to a minimum. Need to do full brake job on axles and rebuild the kingpins. Haven't got the donor truck home yet, there is too much snow, so I figured I'd get organized and get all the parts I already have lined up and in the garage and make repairs as needed to speed the process up. Also picking up a couple spools of wire for the welder for all the little stuff that will need welding .

Archived