• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The list is getting smaller of stuff that is critical and once that is done, the list of wants can be started on.

The critical list last few items are - abit of welding on the pass cab sill,  radiator swap, a new drag link, and a new windshield. That is all for the has to be done. 

The want list includes new front springs to replace the crappy sagged out JUNK COUNTRY  springs, a snorkel, dual big batteries relocated to the box, upgrade the alternator from 2g to 3g, inboard the rear springs directly under the frame rails, that also includes moving the rear traihitch to allow room for the springs. This   the want list for the time being, but the alternator might end up being moved to the critical list.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

2g to 3g?

Ford talk, I believe it is generation of alternator. My truck currently has 60amp 2g alt and all the connections are spade connectors, known to melt/catch fire, even the big wire, which isn't really big at all. And with my winch , and lighting just makes sense to upgrade. it is already showing signs of heat stress on the connectors and wires.

The 3 g alt has many benefits, 135amp rating, the traditional bolt on heavy wire, and built in regulator and internal fan, also compatible with my v belts via a simple pulley swap Here are some pics of the connections of the , first is 2g and second is 3g

2gbrkt.jpg

3Galternator02.jpg

New to me alumn rad installed with inlet and outlet on the wrong sides, also going with an electric fan now, just working on getting the bottom "floating" mounts made from some scrap flat bar and an old piece of rubber. 

So some problems last night with the hood not opening, broke the handle so vice grips on the cable got her open, all fixed now. Today is hub and bearing maintenance day, also installing some new slinger seals, one side has an old one I pulled off the stock axles and the other hasn't had one since the RCV shafts went in.  Also a gob of silicone over the Allen heads on the hub lockout, and the o rings are new for hub to lockout. Shouldn't have problems with water in the bearings anymore. 

10 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Don't real axles have 8 lugs?  Just kiddin', lol.

Haha , u r right, this is the lightest duty truck iv built, but told that the axles are comparable to a d60 in strength

3 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

Atleast 6...

Bahahaha, I don't even got any wheels to fit them anymore lol, and that would be Chevy .... jk jk

• 3 weeks later...

Good news and bad news on the Ford axle. The shaft is not broken, but the issue is in the locker. So, I will be tearing the locker out  , and reinstalling the factory spider gears, then as funds allow, the plan is a better locker than the one I have now. Probably a Yukon Gear locker.

• 1 month later...

Lost forward motion today while in Timmie's drive thru, rolled into parking lot and locked hubs, drove home under front wheel drive. Here is the issue, 4 broken pins in the lokka, reinstalled the original spiders and back in business......for about 10 min when the rad hose blew. 

Now, where to get new pins for lokka

IMG_20160930_170745523.jpg

7 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I love this repair! The box side might need more than some stitches though :1026:

But on the positive side, the new gap that is between the cab corner and the box side is now large enough to do the rust repair without removing the box :excited:

Archived