• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

Got home finally, made a stop and checked out a huge private junk yard, found a truck i might make a commuter out of, iron Duke with a 5speed. That's another story for another time. 

Got the engine home, getting ready to pull a few parts off and get ready to run it, guy I bought it from said it ran good and is ready to run, so since I'm on a ticking time bomb with the Dakota I'll take his word for it (also he had a well known name to insure his claim it's good) . maybe tomorrow I'll have her set in the rails, melting snow and mud driveway isn't helping my ambition

IMG_20160312_160504264.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, update, I'm becoming a wimp when it comes to wrenching in the cold and rain. There was a time when I changed clutches in a big 4x4 Chevy in -25c in the night with snow blowing all around, or changing engines with a lashed together just cut tripod in the mud during a hurricane because I wanted to wheel in some extreme weather. 

I also remember changing engines and firing up the fresh swap while the old engine was still warm on the floor

Weather has been holding up the engine swap, so today I got the truck pushed into the garage, had viewings on the dakotas, tarped in the truck and fired up the salamander to make some heat. Here is where its at so far, everything is disconnected , just engine mounts left and the 302 is out. IV also decided to remove the heads and re gasket/seal entire 351 with new oil pump, water pump and timing chain. I was going to just run it as is but figured I should inspect and seal everything now , then i ll know what I have.

I'll finish pulling the 302 after supper and have it sitting on the floor. I need to make some adjustments to the engine brackets for the power steering to accommodate the taller deck height of the 351.

IMG_20160320_164902728.jpg

IMG_20160320_164909621.jpg

IMG_20160320_164943403.jpg

That nose in the garage is neat.  Did that a few times at my brothers when he had something else in the garage and I couldn't fit all the way in.  But only for a few hours, you can see the garage from the road and I couldn't leave it over night.  But aside from a couple double axleshaft changes in the field in the middle of the summer I've not done what you have!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the engine I had picked up was not in usable condition. I had 2 more 351 kicking around, one has been sitting outside for a very long time, not expecting much there, the other is in mom's garage. I have enough between all 3 engines to assemble 1 good engine. The HighOutput I will be using the heads, intake and distrubutor from, the old one outside donated it's oilpan and valve covers, sump and distributor drive. The EFI engine , I'll be using the short block , it's fairly fresh build about 15 years ago, double roller timing set, new stock cam and bearings, 030 over bore and .010 under on all the journals.

Thank camshaft in the efi is very similar to the 351 high output. Lobe separation is the same, exhaust lift is the same, exhaust duration is the same , slight intake variations , the efi cam is slightly tamer than the highoutput but probably not noticeable. The efi actually has 5 HP higher HP rating if you are into HP numbers.

Mixing and matching parts.... Was worried for a minute, All 3 351w engines I have here have the dipstick in different locations, the 1975 has it in the front cover, the 1987 high output has it on the side of the oil pan, the EFI engine has it cast into the block above the oil pan ridge. Luckily the 302 dipstick and tube will work with the 351. 

Flywheels, the new flywheel in the Ford right now unfortunately won't work with the 351w. So I had to buy a new flywheel with the 351w imbalance. I learned the hard way on that with the 351 that has been outside, when I installed that engine a long time ago it was also fresh rebuilt bottom end , but I used a 302 flywheel and wrecked the fresh bottom end in about a month. Drove it till it wouldn't drive any further.

Hopefully I can get this all buttoned up soon, mom let me borrow her truck to move the engines around, now I have to go and clean it , dripped some oil into the box last night.

Project came to a halt today, I have somehow misplaced my valve spring compressor with the move from ab to NS. Nowhere to be found. I'll have to pick one up before I can strip the heads so I can clean them and install new valve seals

Got the heads stripped down and cleaned, new seals put in and reassembled.  New rear main installed , and I'm at a stop again. I should have left the lifters in the bores but no, I had to inspect them, the engine ran fine when I pulled it, but unknown then it was developing camshaft issues. So now I need a new camshaft and lifters. 

Holy Smokes, numbers in my head, been constantly researching and comparing cam cards for what I want out of this engine. The bottom end checked OK, but just OK, so IV ordered a camshaft and lifters, that should work well with my combination, she won't be a high revver but should pull, also a bit of an excitement with this cam, I'm not sure 100% what to expect as it is different than what I'd normally do,  but feel confident in my choice with the specs.

Also been working on the heads, opening and blending the very restrictive exhaust ports. Normally I wouldn't spend that much time on truck heads, but with my small primary tube headers, 2-1/2 collectors ,velocity at low rpm should be maintained,  IV removed the thermactor bumps in the exhaust ports. It might not make any difference but I'm sure it won't hurt any on this budget build. 

First pic is of untouched exhaust

Second pic is partway done with valve installed for reference and bump removed.

No finish pic, can't show all my secrets...

IMG_20160408_112003794.jpg

IMG_20160408_112255444.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on the camshaft.

IV always wanted a double t-case in any rig IV ever built, just never had all the parts at the same time to build such a beast. 

Jay was up and got a driveline from one of my parts trucks,  after it was out I looked at the splines on the transfer case.. 31 spline output on the slip of the Borg Warner t-case. The transfer case is also 31 spline input. That got me thinking.... . so a bit of research with Google and it can be done. Going to be way cheaper then going with my original plan of np203/np205. IV got 4 working transfer cases here, one bw 1356 with the slip shaft, a np208 in my truck now, a 1988 transfer case, that is a bw 1356 but it has a fixed yolk, and a np205. My plan is to pull the bw with the slip from parts truck, cut the 4wd drop and output off, then cap it. Then build a spacer to mate up to the 1356 bw that is currently in one of the parts trucks, build a cradle to tie the trans,  the cut case planetary section, and the rear case together and to support each section so there is no "hanging" components and keep all 3 nice and solid, and have 1 central mount so it won't tear it self apart with chassis twist. Not going to happen over night, I'm really tight right now for time but I'm going to start mocking all this up with a np435 4 speed trans and the other cases I have in the parts trucks, that way I will have the cradle all built and just have to install a new cross member for the central mount. Yes it will be a  long assy, but the truck is longbox supercab , I have lots of room to work with.

My reason for a doubler is because I don't want to regear, this truck is going to see daily use for a while, and the 355 gears are OK on the highway not having any over drive, but on the trail with 39" tires , it could be a bit better. Even with the bull low trans ID like a bit more "crawl"

8 minutes ago, jay said:

Do you you want the slip yolk back off the driveshaft I chopped? It's no use to me right now.

Nope, the transfer case input will be sliding in where you removed that slip from

7 minutes ago, derekmac said:

Looks good man!!

Thanks

Getting ready to do some rust repair , thats why the dents had to come out. didn't get a before pic, but got a pic after I got the rust cut out. I cut a section out of the box on the parts truck, it has the same profiles as the the cab. Test fit, trimmed and ready to weld, but now it is raining. Once the skin is on, I'll make a new drop panel on the back side and weld it together like factory. The driver side corner is fixable but I'll need a new cab corner for the pass side and the rest I'll remove from the parts truck boxsides.

The drop panel on the pass side is in geret shape, just the outter skin is gone. 

IMG_20160423_195515885.jpg

IMG_20160423_195542660.jpg

IMG_20160423_195621313.jpg

IMG_20160423_195611184.jpg

Looky what came in today!!!!!

But No progress today, had a midnight trip to the Hospital last night,  I always wear safety glasses but had a grinding disc blow up as soon as I touched the metal with it. Anyway got piece of hot material on the surface of my eye, hot enough it burned and embedded . I tried to flush it out my self with no luck, by midnight I couldn't take it any more so I went in. Theyfroze my eye and removed the material. It left a black speck over the colour part of my eye, but doesn't effect vision, they said they could grind it out but I said I can live with the black spec that remained. It is small enough it is only visible to someone else within kissing range. And ain't very many people make it that close haha. 

Anyway, new parts on dining room table waiting for install

IMG_20160425_124222996.jpg

Damn man, lucky that didn't turn out worse than it did!

I went from not wearing glasses, to wearing safety glasses, to usually wearing a full face shield.  I seem to get more paranoid when it comes to safety as I get older, so I'll probably end up wearing glasses and a shield.

Archived