• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ford

Powerram

The engine would need a freshen up, cylinder walls are like a mirror, glazed shiny, no ring ridge present , probably be able to just pull the pistons, quick hone, re-ring and reinstall. Also probably throw some valve seals in the heads.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much of an update, but have the fender flares reinstalled, also upgrading the winch. It is a warn M15000. That will be the winch I am mounting onto the ford. I have passed on the fairly new winch that was previously on the ford to another forum member and they are happy with it. Here are some pics of the new winch and my trusty m12000 sitting in the foreground mounted on a plate.

IMG_20160119_110939515.jpg

IMG_20160119_111208514.jpg

26 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

Nice. I need to get my warn 8274 back. Its been sitting at APJ with my bumper for like 3 years :/

I'm spoiled now, been 9 years since I've wheeled without a winch, can't imagine not having one. Especially a heavy one. My first winch is the warn m12000. Been on a few rigs now. IV currently got 4 winches, A Braden worm drive PTO driven winch on the 66 Powerwagon, a champion 10,000 I'm planning on installing on the trailer, The trusty M12,000 off of my last 79 crewcab powerwagon and the new to me m15000 which will be mounted on the bumper of the Ford. Just can't imagine not having one. 

I use them for so much more than just vehicle recovery, from hauling scrap to lifting things too heavy to manhandle, IV made a portable lifting device for the front bumper of the ford, example made moving my Dana 60 and 14 bolt from the trailer to where I have them stored in the yard easy with one person, makes like a mini pole truck on the front bumper. Like the pic, just smaller scale

ginpole.jpg

Man that looks like the Lemon-Aid Jays old powerwagon in Calgary. Thats a pretty cool setup, I'm sure someone will tell you "blah blah don't lift with a winch blah blah blah" 

I only have the 8274 and I've been offered money for it quite a few times but nah, I think I'll keep it haha

Yep, I know the truck, it was the recover unit after his ramcharger but I thought it was a 1950 gmc cab and box with Rockwell's under it.

Thinking back, maybe it was a Fargo , can't remember, its been a while since I saw that lol

Chanda was the company name I belive

49 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

. Thats a pretty cool setup, I'm sure someone will tell you "blah blah don't lift with a winch blah blah bla

Just not supposed to lift over head. IV done several recoveries that lifted vehicles up or over obstacles haha

2 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Just not supposed to lift over head. IV done several recoveries that lifted vehicles up or over obstacles haha

Gotta do what ya gotta do. Just like using a hi-light as a comealong. Not sure if you're supposed too but it works

25 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Yep, I know the truck, it was the recover unit after his ramcharger but I thought it was a 1950 gmc cab and box with Rockwell's under it.

Thinking back, maybe it was a Fargo , can't remember, its been a while since I saw that lol

Chanda was the company name I belive

I don't know him, I just remember him from waaaay back when 4wheeler.ca was still an awesome site

2 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I've got three 8274s.  Wouldn't leave home without one anymore!  Especially since I'm often the largest truck, or I do a short trip alone, etc.

Yeah man, worth their weight in gold

• 1 month later...

Progress today, moved the Corvette out, moved a bunch of furniture, moved a bunch of building supplies, then moved a bunch of parts and found a 351 burried at the back of the garage.moved it out and had to put everything back and rolled the Corvette back in. Also found the 351 headers. More updates soon. Only moved the engine to the door  because the snow is still too deep to get anywhere near the garage yet. Probably next couple of days will help with that.

52 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Where do you live?  Or was the snow piled from plowing?  Sure is no snow downtown! :biggrin:

Nope, not piled, just snow that is untouched. Towards Rawdon. The sun doesn't reach the yard. Rolled the Corvette up to the edge of the garage so the front bumper cover just touched the ridge of snow at the overhead door. Also had to chisel and shovel out the man door just to get in the garage. 

Just getting the Corvette to roll was a challenge. At least the hood was popped. Batt unhooked, but doors locked, in gear and park brake set. And key fob dead. Hooked batt up to open electric touch doors, alarm going off, both fobs dead, no go on the doors, had to go through the trunk, to reach manual door popper on the floor. Urrghh!! Technology!!! Got doors open, replaced fob battery powered up car to get doors shut , Windows go up and down with opening and closing of doors for window to clear rubber seals, no power =no closed doors

After that was moving and piling, piling and moving. Got the engine to the overhead door to easily reach it, rolled car back in and just waiting to get a couple more little parts

On 25/02/2016 at 7:12 AM, sar4x4 said:

Where do you live?  Or was the snow piled from plowing?  Sure is no snow downtown! :biggrin:

I took this pic ten minutes ago, we still got snow but it is going

IMG_20160301_134858421_HDR.jpg

Doing some suspension work on the Ford today, also going to modify the steering to fix the horrible angles created by the lift.

Parts on the table include new radius arm bushings (x2) and the bearing box contains new stub shaft slinger seals, the water in my bearings isn't going to happen anymore!! Haha it seemed I repacked em after every run due to water. This is going to be my daily driver for a bit so it's time to dial her in for the long run

IMG_20160302_084857765.jpg

Got the steering flip done, happy with the visual results, looks less scary, also upgraded the winch from the 11500# winch to one of my heavier warn winches. M12000. 

The second pic you can see the tie rods and draglink are at a nicer angle with the rod ends on top of the steering knuckle rather than under it. Also got my licence plate installed haha

IMG_20160304_114102788.jpg

IMG_20160304_114039940.jpg

Radius arm bushings are done. But, it wasn't an easy job. 

IV had suspicion that something somewhere in the front moves and stays because every time I wheel the truck, it drives different at the end of the day. The radius arm brackets are twisting the frame rails from the bottom inwards. ALOT. After fighting and struggling to pull the arms out of the bracketswith no success because of being bent inwards , the crazy came out in me and I put my high lift Jack between the radius arm mounts and jacked them back out enough to pull one arm at a time.  After almost loosing my face when the jack kicked out , I put my crazy away and came up with a new plan, I have a length of gr8  threaded rod so I drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the mounts, and threaded the rod outward to achieve the position I needed to work with the arms. Installed 1 bushing at a time and got er done. I'm going to spread the arm brackets again when I pick up a piece of square tubing and weld it in while the arms are in place with the threaded rod, once welded I'll remove the rod. Also I have to weld in a piece of quarter inch plate on the pivot drop brackets. Man I wish I hadn't cheaped out with this rough country lift and got a skyjacker lift. Oh well , work with what I have now, pivot drop brackets need more bracing than what is designed into it. 

Pretty sad, all the reviews IV read said this RC lift kit was well built and rugged. I don't know what they are talking about because I haven't wheeled this truck hard yet. WOW!! Drives different every time I drive it.

So after all that, hopefully this rig will drive better and can turn my focus back to getting the 351 geared up

Forgot to mention, IV installed a steel hawse fairlead on the front now because I bent the rollers fairlead with the super winch . the rollers are shaped like a "V" from some moderate pulls. Less moving parts =more realibility. Haha that coming from a guy who kept TTB over a SAS lol

40 minutes ago, jay said:

Damn! Sounds like u had a battle on there! Good to hear ur still with us!

I hear a lot of Jeep ppl complain about the RC gear too.

Yep, I won't recommend RC to anyone from my expirence

On 05/03/2016 at 10:59 AM, sar4x4 said:
On 05/03/2016 at 10:59 AM, sar4x4 said:

I'm not sure if RC is cheaper, but certainly cheaper is not always the best value or the quality you need!

Yep, the skyjacker lift for my truck was more than double the RC lift.

On Saturday I'm going to pick up another engine for my Ford. It's complete carb to oil pan, and has all the minor things I was needing for my swap. Like a carb, 4bbl intake and distributor. I wont be able to sleep at all , way too much excitement pumping through me. 

Archived